Arduinavicaro

Haven't posted a robot since December 2008. Not sure it classifies as a robot, but back then we were just evolving and "Something Else" didn't exist as a category!

Anyway, here we go. This was a cheap toy belonging to my 7 y/o (Yes, I spoke of a 7 y/o back in 2008, but now my 2 y/o is 7). It was ready for the bin. Turns out the ony thing wrong with it was teh 4-core cable connecting the hand controller to it. Soon ripped that out and replaced it with an L298 based dual H-bridge controlled by an Arduino. Oh, yeah. This is my first Arduino project, having previously been a PIC RISC sort of chap.

MOst of the innards

I added bluetooth (not shown) and downloaded Arduino Bluetooth RC Car, although that's poorly named as it will work with any device capable of receiving a serial stream from a Bluetooth receiver. Why? Because I'm an Android virgin. I'm 100% comfortable with Java, but Andriod API is a deep, dark, horrible, ugly, cold place. I just can't get to grips with it.

Here's it mostly assembled. I can control it with the above software. now, I'm off to make it do something more clever on its own.

Almost done - just need to add the BT

Can be remote controlled (Bluetooth) or navigate autonomously by ultrasonic.

• Actuators / output devices: motors x2, servo x1
  • Control method: Bluetooth
  • CPU: Arduino Mega 2560
  • Power source: 6x AA cells
  • Programming language: Arduino sketch
  • Sensors / input devices: Ultrasound scanner
  • Target environment: indoor

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/arduinavicaro

Nice to see you posting again.

I am curious. You say that you are using a servo and two motors. I see a motor and maybe a servo. What is the other motor doing? 

Motor Breakdown

Was too excited to document this properly. there are two rotary DC motors. On is attach by a reduction gear to the back axle. The other is attached to a pinion which is meshed with the steering rack. These are both hooked into the motor driver.

The servo is for rotating the ultrasound ranger and is hooked directly to the Arduino. The stripboard you see is my “shield”.

At the moment, all I can do is remote control it by Bluetooth, but ultimately, the plan is to hav it folllow a wall without hitting it.