Another wiper motor wiring question

Hi all, trying to use a WPM1254 wiper motor but cannot figure out the wiring. This fits a nissan quest ('93-'02) or mercury villager.

Motor has five wires: black, red, black w/stripe, brown, blue.

Both blacks and the red go into what looks like a start capacitor with a single black coming out and going into the motor. Blue and brown also go into the motor.

None of the wires flow to the case, and all mounting screws are shielded with rubber grommets.

Four of the five wires have high continuity.

Anyone have some clues on how to get this running fast and slow? Direction doesn’t matter, but bonus points for the park feature.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Image of plug that i cut off motor:

1 Like

Hi @Bigrez and welcome to our forum!

My first guess is that this a standard wiper motor (not a new one with electronics inside). I am not sure if it is a B-type or L-type, but my assumption is that is B-type.

Have a look at this:

Do you see any marks on your connector with numbers 53, 53a, 53b, 331 or similar?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

Only markings are BWPM1254 and PT14E2.

Red, blue, brown, black w/stripe all show little resistance to each other. Black shows no connection to any others. I can’t tell how that would fit the above diagram.

One or all of black, red, black/stripe must be a park line because i can see they connect to a switch plate on the gear. (Haven’t figured out which that is yet.)

1 Like

I would make an assumption that black is 31, black with stripe is 31b, red is 53 and blue and brown are 53a or 53b.

Motor should rotate if you apply 12V to black and red, but parking position will not work. For that, you need relays.

Black to ground and red to +12v pops the circuit breaker.

Red to 12v and any wire other to ground does nothing.

I did note that black to ground and blue to 12v moved to park position.

Brown=gnd and blue=12v moved in jerky motion. Looks like it kept tripping the power supply, but at 10a that shouldn’t be. I’ll find another power source to try.

1 Like

Success!

Black w/stripe is ground.
Brown 12v is fast
Blue 12v is slow.
Swap them for CCW rotation.

Meaning red and black are for park.

If I were making this thing, I would have had black w/stripe go from center to motor… would just make sense to me

Anyway, thanks for helping me decode it.

Mike

1 Like

That’s great :slight_smile:

I am glad that you figured it out in the end :slight_smile:

For which project are you using this motor?

It’s actually for some Halloween props. A grave digger with moving shovel torso and head and for wobbling zombies. The grave digger will need to utilize the park feature so I’ll have to figure that out.

This forum had better info than several of the Halloween forums lol.

I picked up 6 of these brand new motors for about $17/ea with free shipping, so gotta put them to work. :grin:

1 Like

Something like this then:

image002