Another Ultrasound Sensor

Hey guys, check this so far unknown UltraSound sensor:

http://www.kitsusa.net/phpstore/html/Vex-Robotics-276-2155-Ultrasonic-Range-Finder-4144.html

I kinda like, compared to SRF05.. maby.. :)

Lovin’ the Vex

Well Frits,

As you know I have been using vex parts as the base of a couple of my bots and love the erector-set quality of it. -good gears, good wheels etc. However, their basic system is really just a remote control car and if you want to get into any auto stuff you are limited to their parts and their system. The good news is that everything I have used is compatable with picaxe (except they use these stupid male ended servo pins) In terms of this little unit, it seems it is a 4-pin sonar --trigger, echo and V/G. All vex stuff uses servo connectors so I believe there is a double power supply. One 3-wire pack is V,G,Trig and the other 3-wire pack is V,G,Echo. Should work for what we are doing, and it is 10 bucks cheaper -not to mention nice big mounting ears.

-Did you notice Vex also does pnumatics? -Over priced, but cool stuff.

Yeah to all you write… and
Yeah to all you write… and on their site I did recognize some green wheels with characteristic blades inside :wink:

It’s a 4 wire setup, I

It’s a 4 wire setup, I bought one for 12 bux when radioshack decided they didn’t want to deal with vex anymore(a year or more ago). I’m wishing I’d picked up some of the track at the time as it was all pretty much a half off sale for everything at the time… :frowning:

I haven’t tried it on a picaxe, yet, but I know it works fine on a bs2. I have to say though I think it has a wider field that it pics up vs the (para)ping and seemed a bit erratic as well…but maybe it was my environment at the time.

The picture looks like 6

The picture looks like 6 wires.

you’re only concerned with

you’re only concerned with 4, I’ve taken mine apart and hooked it up.

The extra wires are just attached to the same ground and Vin points so they can be removed. I can post pics if you want(when I get home)…it’s still out of the case in my parts bin.

$10??
Where do you get them for $10? Or $10 cheaper than the SRF05?

I think that was just a typo
I think that was just a typo - it’s not. About the same price. But in a house, and with cables…

My fear was that they’d be

My fear was that they’d be wider in the detection field.

The better SRF’s has a more narrow beam / detection area, and this is to prefer in many apps…