Annual Online LMRobo-games!

What if somebody makes an annual robo-games for LMR members that is held online? just like Robotgrrl's robot party but with games and stuff e.g. online robot racing, online robot chess games(for those who do have chess playing robots, and connect them o the internet and play with other people), robot catwalk, coolest robot of the year...etc. and the prizes would be certificates that can be sent and print by the winner, or stuff that i don't know.

so, anyone interested in this kind of concept?

That would be fun! Any ideas
That would be fun! Any ideas how to hold competitions regarding the fact that we are globally distributed robot makers?

lol, that’s the problem…

i am giving this concept to anyone who can do it, they can… maybe… use google+ or anything.

Aw, WTH

I thought this was an announcement with the triple exclaimation points and all, not just an idea :\ Super fake out.

Yes, this is a great idea with great logistics to consider. This idea harkens back to the days of the LMR socca bots which had traction but were met with technical limitations. I would be way into some online games if it comes to fruition.

Nice idea

That would be fun to watch :smiley:

IF the Rasberry Pi will eventually get from the ground (or using the BeagleBone) I could imagine some Linux / Networking guru being able to connect this to the Internet and write some kind of frontend for it using PHP.

Just worth my two cents :slight_smile:

Do It Together

As we at LMR call our collaborative work Do It Together it would be nice if the LMR-Robogames would reflect that.

So the game should make our global physical distribution as an inherent part of the concept. No need to send the robot around the world. Rather get triggered during the competition by a team-mate from Australia to perform a task in your country and when finished hand over to the team-mate in Switzerland.

So team is an part of the concept. Worldwide physical distribution and collaborative play too.

This is an interesting idea

This is an interesting idea that I’ve been thinking about for a bit… The remote communication from around the world is an interesting challenge. It is definitely possible. At the Cloud Robotics Hackathon the Team Lightningbots mate made this cool web app that ran on an EC2 instance where any info displayed in the browser could be updated automagically on all the browsers. It connected to the robots via a tcp socket (so they need a phone connection or a connection back to the computer to work-- or use a mesh network w/central node). So you could control the robots directly from any browser on that page.

I like this idea lots :slight_smile: It would need some sort of organizing though. It could begin with a simple soccer-like game. I’m imagining something like two teams remotely control some of CtC’s tiny tanks on his field (if he still has it). And it would be sweet if it was on the Robot Party! Everyone is invited all the time!

What if we re-enact the

What if we re-enact the soccer game? I have all the parts for (need to solder) 10 micro bipeds, 5 red and 5 blue that can play soccer on a field that I can build. I have a better camera that I can use, but I’m not sure what to use for computer-robot communication. The robots have the hardware serial port available and I have tested the communication with a pair of xBee modules that I have. The problem is that I can’t buy 9 more modules. Will a cheap Bluetooth work? Should I make some IR modules? If you guide me through this process we might have a game going. Oh, and the control software, that is not something I can come up with. But I think it would be a nice game to have hosted on the Robot Party.

We can always use magabots :stuck_out_tongue:

We have actually tried to do something similiar some time ago (https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/node/31747). We made a simple track and had two magabots which could be remote controlled by google chat while their webcam’s video was being streamed on a google+ hangout. It was just a test but showed us that the idea could work. 

Maybe we could try to organize new races or any other kinds of games (soccer seems interesting) and repeat the experience…

What do you all think?

**that’s very awesome! **

that’s very awesome! 

i couldn’t be a host for this!

that’s why i’m posting this concept for anyone who can host this, if only there was a host, a time, and some other stuff, this would really work, what if we host many g+ hangout, one per each game, soccer game on the other hangout, racing on the other, etc. and what if we make our own robot racer and race them online on the webcam, with specific rules, with a given time and with it’s own referee.

@xicoMBD, yes! we can really use them, but we should have a specific time to do it! 

@ro-bot-x, that would be very awesome!

xicoMBD, Ro-bot-x, and ctc’s(as robotgrrl says) robots could be the online games where you can control them online, and another section would be the live game, where your own robot plays online via webcam.

and we should do this LMRobo-games yearly and it would be great! if only we could answer those problems!!! (if only there was a host, a date, and some other stuff) 

If there’s going to be a lot

If there’s going to be a lot of people watching (but not participating), then it would be a good idea to mirror the hangout- or the live video feed of the ‘field’ to ustream (or whatever). Haha or just have a ustream going all day with a url to control the robots (it’s been done before, but it is quite fun)! I can volunteer for helping host the hangouts if no one else wants to :slight_smile:

that would be really great!

that would be really great! now, i will grant you the honour to do it :), you will be the one to organise it, and plan it, thank you for that!

cheers!

i have another idea from aaron, what if there was a boxing round, were you can programme the robots online and let them fight alone after programming them.

This would be a great idea

This would be a great idea for LMR and fun for all of the members and visitors. Besides the shoutbox we could have a game/fight/race :slight_smile:

Some simple games would be good…soccer as a team play but with 2 x 8 minutes halfs with 2 minutes break since 8 minutes is short enough to keep playing without leaving for bathroom or dinner.

I’m working on the soccer

I’m working on the soccer game and I can also use the little bots for other games. I’ll keep you guys posted.

What about this game: https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/node/32379 ?

Have seen this buddy but did

Have seen this buddy but did not have time to comment yet :wink:

I thought about a new game,

I thought about a new game, called RoboCraft. See the above link.