And now for something completely different : MontyPythonSillyWalkBot

Like many all of you, i like robots. Big news. But i especially like robots that walk, that crawl, that jump, that fly... like OddBot's Caterpillar, or Fritsl's Skiwalker for example...

So i wanted to make something which moves in an unusual way, and here it is... I couldn't figure any name until i saw it moving, then it was like a revelation : it instantly made think about my favorite Monty Python sequence : the Ministry of Silly Walks. For the crazy ignorant people those who don't know about, i included the video, enjoy... :D

As it would have been pretty difficult to put any sensors on it, it's remote controlled, i got the IR receiver in a broken tv-decoder-thing, and i use a remote control from an old Sony camera (and thanks to robologist and CTC in that thread)

The case is a modem-case that i took apart for the components, and as always in my robots, there's a lot of blue tape ^^ The IR receiver is the small black thing next to the led.

A view from the other side with the remote control. As it comes from a camera there are less buttons than in a tv remote, and some buttons are decoded the same way by the picaxe so i ended up with a dozen of different commands, which was enough for this robot. But now that i know it works, i just have to buy an universal remote for the next robots...

I know the wheels should spin at different speeds, the one on the floor should be slower, so i looked at that pwmout thing, but looks like the picaxe 18x can only handle one (and i need two), i managed to do something with loops and pause, but actually it was pretty worthless as the robot moves on a carpet, so i decided to let them spin at the same speed. And it works like a charm...

And as usual, now that it's finished, that i played with it, scared the cat, took pictures and filmed it, i'm gonna unbuild it and make another one :)

UPDATE :

I just found a new trick with Youtube (i should say Yooouuutuuube), looks funny with the video so enjoy! :D

Moves weirdly, works at the Ministry of silly walks, tries to dance but is as bad as me

• Actuators / output devices: 2 servos, 2 continuous rotation servos
  • Control method: Infra-red remote controlled
  • CPU: picaxe 18x
  • Power source: 4 x 1, 2 NiMh batteries
  • Programming language: Picaxe basic
  • Target environment: Indoor carpet

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/and-now-for-something-completely-different-montypythonsillywalkbot

Forget different speeds!

That is a very silly walk indeed. Good work. I laughed.

About different speeds: try different directions!

Wow sweet bot great ideas.
Wow sweet bot great ideas. i’d say dont disasemble it yet see what else you can do with it whether is adding a third leg or even a caster wheel and having both legs out so it drives around. love the blue tape. i found my hot glue took a while to get rid of when i was disassembling. yeah so great bot.

I changed the video so it

I changed the video so it should work now…

And thanks for the comments, glad you like it! :smiley:

Good show!
Very original. Bravo for the blue taped dancer.

nice, also thanks for
nice, also thanks for linking the thread about IR receivers and remotes. Hope to be doing something like that soon.

**Nice one! Creative bot! :slight_smile: **

Nice one! Creative bot! :slight_smile:

Love
Love it! Before you disassemble you should think about the disco bot challenge: https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/node/5556

You could add a sounds
You could add a sounds module that makes him say " i am from the ministry of silly walks "

Great job :slight_smile: That’s a

Great job :slight_smile: That’s a wonderful idea for a robot. I love a robot that makes you just really like it :slight_smile:

Dan

Great bot, inspired design
Great bot, inspired design and very entertaining. Care to build a robot for the ministry of stacking things on top of other things?

I absolutely love this! I
I absolutely love this! I really want one! If they where for sale, I’d buy one. I want to program it! Could one make it go 50/50 and spin on the discs, so it would “stand up”?

Wow, thanks for all those

Wow, thanks for all those nice comments! :smiley:

"Could one make it go 50/50 and spin on the discs, so it would “stand up”? "

Well, i already thought about this, especially since Ajster talked about the discbot contest, it’s possible but i need to make few modifications, like inverse the places of the batteries and the modem case so that i’ll lower the center of gravity… I also would have to attach more firmly the cds to the wheels, 'cause now they’re just attached by a piece of double sided tape.

Well, i can say that with all those comments guys, you just saved his life!

(at least for now)

Totally 5 stars!!! This is

Totally 5 stars!!!

This is the kind of robot that inspires me a lot and makes me want to build more original bots :wink:

Congrats! :wink:

ANother comment:I tell you,

ANother comment:

I tell you, this design has something:

Browsing all robots on the site, seeing the image of this one makes me do a little puff of air out of my nose in a semi-laughing smile… Just the tought of the way it moves, while browsing for something completely else :smiley:

It must be his

It must be his russian-dancer-style

|x

^_^

And again, thanks for all the motivating comments! :D

What a great bot. Creativity
What a great bot. Creativity to the max!

vety cool !!!
vety cool !!!

how about some hands

first let me start by saying. WAY COOL! but how about some remote control arms and hands and make it dance around like a little monkey. lol

LOL! Brilliant!
LOL! Brilliant!