American Robots robot build plans (1978)

Believe it or not these old plans were a work of genius, you could actually build like a functional Robby The Robot but I lost the plans years ago. Would pay good cash to get them back if anyone out there might have them, slim chance but have to try!

1 Like

Hi @DevlinB and welcome to our forum.

I’ve never heard of this robot, but I did a quick Google search and I see what it is now.

I am not sure if you want to build a fully functional robot or just a costume maybe?

I see a lot of photos of blueprints for Robby the Robot. For example: Robby the Robot blueprint build plan, front and side views 3D Render

Also, there are some 3D models for 3D printing available: Free STL file Robby the Robot - NEW design and parts 🤖・3D print object to download・Cults

Is this what you are looking for or you need more details?

Hi Igor. This was from 1978 blueprints and build plans for a robot that had the appearance of Robby the Robot. It was 5 feet tall using things you can buy readily, with functional claws etc. It was not an exact copy of Robby. But it was ingenious the way the guy worked it all out. I would like to start over on it and use an Arduino! Once I get them back I will need a lot of stuff from robot shop, servo’s, motorized wheels etc!

1 Like

Hi @DevlinB and thank you for your reply.

The project sounds interesting and we would like to see it working. Why did you choose this robot specifically?

Also, did you manage to find anything online? If yes, can you share it with us?

No luck, I have posted everywhere. However I think with items Robot Shop has available I can make it only way better with an Arduino etc. I will sketch it out with all parts as best as I can recall, shortly. It would really help to have the blueprints which had an image of the robot on cover which would probably bring in a lot of people on this, but alas will have to wait until I build mine.

1 Like

Found some on ebay: Original 1978 Vintage Robby The Robot Blueprint Poster | eBay

Is that it what you are looking for?

Thank you. But this was a real home brew functional robot that had a resemblance to Robby. It was from tin and everyday objects, with motorized wheels, bike brakes and solenoids for claws etc. It was over 5 foot tall. Now you take that design, for the actual structure and combine it with stuff from modern era Robot Shop has now and it will be brilliant. I will eventually post a sort of blueprint I can do from memory so we can all work on it!

1 Like

Perfect! Looking forward to that!

Ok I found them! This robot comes out at about 5 1/2 feet tall. Now it uses these 2 motorized wheels no longer made. The shaft slides through a hole you cut in the wood base very easy. Does the Robotshop have an alternative for two of these? It would need to push the weight of about 40 pounds or so

1 Like

I have used these with larger robots. They mount to a flat surface with 4 short plastic standoffs (tubes) and nuts and bolts. Then some angle brackets from a hardware store.
Cytron Power Window Motors w/ 5" Wheels (Pair) - RobotShop

2 Likes

Hi @DevlinB ,

Do you have some technical specification for these motors?

If yes, maybe you can search for alternative, or best similar motor from RobotShop.

1 Like

That looks like it might work! Not sure how to mount underneath the wood base though.

1 Like

These old ones all I know were gearhead motors but strong enough to probably power a wheelchair, 2 of them but we don’t need quite that much power. RobotRicks suggestion might work if I figure out how to mount them.

1 Like

That looks like it might work! I may need help figuring out how to mount will research your suggestion!

1 Like

Something like this using 2020 extrusion. Or just some angle brackets from the local hardware store.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Just saw this video on YouTube that might be interesting for you:

Thanks so much Igor

1 Like