AL5A questions - gripper questions

Hi, I recently built the no-electronics version of the Lynx AL5A robot arm, it has been very interesting. I have a few questions.

I seem to have missed the step where the instructions describe how to connect the gripper servo motor to the gripper. I don’t see any obvious holes for screws to go through to attach it…so far I have just pushed it into place. I’m using this manual:

Also, where can I find the thread / screw size for the embedded screwthread in the gripper claws?

Thanks

Hello @donbright and welcome to the forum

do you refer to this step?

In case there are no holes, take a 3.2mm ( 1/8") drill.

Don’t know exactly what you mean, but IMHO they are all 4-40 ( M3) thru holes with nylon lock nuts

thanks, no. that is for the Gripper-A style, the AL5A comes with a different gripper, the “little gripper”.

I did go back and look again, it says ‘attach the servo with the servo screw’, so I guess there is no attachment except for at the point of the servo horn, and the snug fit with the housing keeps it from rotating.

The little gripper has four embedded threaded holes on the side of it’s little gripper fingers, thanks. I tried a screw in there that i’m pretty sure is an M3 so thats cool. I think I can build something to attach something on the outside of those maybe.

Thanks again

@donbright Welcome to the RobotShop Community. Attaching the gripper is described in steps 14+ here: http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build140.htm
Can you confirm you have all required parts?

1 Like