AIs and conversation

I've been thinking about AI resently, and I have been stumped on the idea of how to make a robot/computer talk like a human. Algorithms like those used by cleverbot don't have a real "memory", and I really want a robot that will also take into acount a set of variables called emotions. What ideas have you come across?

Currently the closest thing

Currently the closest thing you could get to is cleverly programmed responses like siri. Take a look at what I made it is more like a information gatherer than an AI https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/node/38923 

it can respond to you and basically answer anything. Read through a few of the things it can do scan barcodes, identify faces, turn lights on and off, and answer questions. 

Could you provide a breif

Could you provide a breif explanation of the algorithm, because due to most video hosting sites being blocked, I can’t watch your videos.

It is not an algorithm as

It is not an algorithm as such it uses a variety of search engines finds links scrapes info from the links and presents it to you. It also uses wolfram alpha for a few simple things like for time and math.

So it uses the internet to

So it uses the internet to become more powerful!

Interesting, very interesting. But I’ll have to see if I can access Wolfram Alpha for functions like finding synonyms for speech variation.

If you decide to scrape data

If you decide to scrape data from some websites be careful because it can be illegal and you can be jailed. 

This is a tough programming

This is a tough programming problem which hasn’t been solved…yet.  If you google around, there are a number of projects folks have done, but none have really solved it. 

That is what is kind of cool about robotics is there are so many areas where huge leaps in progress are possible.  A good idea, a smart brain, some hard work and you could do it. 

I often wonder if a learning approach would be the best way to solve this.  Teach it language just like a baby and allow it to interact with people until it learns to speak fluently.  That should be someone’s doctoral thesis. 

Regards,

Bill

It is legal to pull data

It is legal to pull data off of Wolfram Alpha, right?

I think that I have a half

I think that I have a half decent idea of what to do, provided that I can read off data from Wolfram Alpha using python ;D.

Yes, but only if you pay for

Yes, but only if you pay for their api. You can get the api free too as a trial version.