Advice required on choosing a DC motor

I am a retired system engineer but new to robotics. I am working on project that requires a small DC motor to lift a plastic box lid about 1/2 to 1 inch up at one end via a cam on the motor output shaft. I expect to use a 5-V dc motor and need the motor to run at speeds from 5 to 50rpm controlled by a pwm controller like this

can anyone please give an advise as to which motor would be suitable.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Sorry I should have said a 5v or 12V motor

I think if you search on the search bar of the shop for a 12V DC motor you should find something. I’m not sure but there is maybe some filter that you could add such as torque, RPM, ect. Make sure the torque fits the payload of your project or the cam you want to lift. I would highly recommend you choose a DC motor with a D shaped shaft since they are easier to fit on a hub. Let me know if you want to learn more about hubs.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, I have searched the motors comparison page and have selected a motor with a max rpm of 56, I dont think the torque will be a problem as the cam will have no load for about 75% of each revolution then only lifting one end of a plastic lid for about 25% of a revolution, I think my main problem will be finding a motor that will reduce in speed from 50rpm to 5 rpm with PWM changes, its a high ratio of change and I cant tell if this will work successfully, I should receive my selected motor sometime next week and will be able to start experimenting.

Thanks again, Bill

Great! I’m not sure if it is easy to reduce from 10 the speed of a motor only using PWM but I’m sure that using a gear ratio of 10:1 would reduce the RPM from 50 to 5ish.

I know it would require more part but it could be your plan B if the plan A doesn’t work like you want.
Let me know how it goes and if you manage to complete the project, I’d be interested in seeing the result! Post a video if you want it would be great!

Thanks again for the advice, we need a system that we can vary the speed using an IR remote controller that comes with the PWM controller without having to make any mechanical changes. We will experiment with the motor we have ordered when it arrives but I am not hopeful that it will work,

I have found that you can now get continuous rotating servo motors, I thought they all just moved so many degrees. One of these says it can be controlled from 0 to 50 RPM by PWM control, one is now on order.

I will let you know how it goes.

Bill