Advice please re: Christmas gift using Raspberry Pi

Hi

So, I would like to buy a robot that is remote controlled for my husband for Christmas but I know nothing about these things. He trained as an electrical engineer and works in IT and builds computers for a hobby. He is very fond of Raspberry Pi and I wondered if you had any recommendations for a biped/humanoid using a Raspberry Pi, please?

I have an upper limit of £400. Thank you

Hello @Malp and welcome to the RobotShop forum!

There are not many humanoid/biped robot kits specifically designed for Raspberry Pi in the store, however, you could purchase a hardware-only kit (no electronics) and use Raspberry as the “brain” of the robot in conjunction with a motor driver to control the servos.

On the other hand, if there are other types of robot kits designed for Raspberry Pi, such as cars or hexapods:

So I invite you to visit these sections:

And let us know if something interests you and if you have any questions.

I also recommend you to check this blog

A good option could be the Lynxmotion (LSS) 4 DoF Robotic Arm and use the RPI to control it.

1 Like

Thank you for your help. Malp

1 Like

If you want to keep him occupied for weeks, buy something that isn’t plug&play.
He’ll love the challenge…

1 Like

Hi Thank you. I wouldn’t know what to choose - any thoughts please?
Malp

Well, it really depends on what he’s into. If he likes playing games then the Pimoroni 10-In Picade Raspberry Pi Gaming Kit would be great, if he likes computer vision maybe a Camera Module with Pan & Tilt kit or a robot kit that includes a camera would be nice. If you have no idea of what he likes maybe some RPi accessories would be useful, like a LCD Touch Screen, or the easiest gift a Certificate so he can choose what he likes.

1 Like

Hi
I will take a look at your suggestions. Thank you very much
M