Adeept Robot Tank - Raspberry Pi Power

Hi!

I require your help regarding a problem I’m encountering.

Description:
I am planning to buy this Adeept Kit (Adeept RaspTank WiFi Smart Robot Tank Kit for Raspberry Pi - RobotShop) which uses 2 x 18650 batteries to power the HAT and motor (I am assuming).

Would it be also possible to power the RPi board from the same 2 batteries or does the Pi need its own power source?

Hardware concerned:

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

1 Like

Hi @tonyawad88 and welcome back to our forum!

Yes, RBC-Apt-27 needs 2 x 18650 batteries. Unfortunately RobotShop does not sell these anymore in Canada, but you should be able to find these on Amazon for example.

See information about powering the Raspberry Pi here: https://www.adeept.com/learn/tutorial-389.html

Feel free to ask anything else.

Hi @igor_X,

Thank you for this. For powering the Raspberry Pi from the same power source as the Motor HAT (2 x 18650) it doesn’t mention it in the above link, it is only mentioned to use the USB power supply to the Pi while debugging, software installation etc.

Does this mean that when the usb power supply is disconnected, the Pi board will get its power from the HAT power source?

Thanks,
Tony

I think you’ll need a separate power supply. Otherwise, your setup may not get the sufficient current to run. This is my opinion. Let’s see what they have to say.

Hello @igor_X , I am following up to see if you have answer on whether we can power the Raspberry Pi from the same batteries that are used to power the robot. Thank you!

1 Like

Sorry, I think I might have found it on this link: https://www.adeept.com/learn/tutorial-65.html .

When you are performing software installation, structural assembly or program debugging, you can use a USB cable to power the Raspberry Pi. If the Raspberry Pi is equipped with Robot HAT, you can connect the USB cable to the USB port on the Robot HAT. Robot HAT will power the Raspberry Pi by the GPIO interface.

1 Like

Yes, that’s it :slight_smile: