A4WD3 rover weight details

Hi,

I am looking to purchase the above rover, but would first like to be convinced it can handle off-road challenging terrain for forest monitoring applications.

-I would like to know about the weight of just the chassis frame without the motors, electronics and battery.

-What is the weight of each motor (36GP-540-41).

Thank you,
Dan.

@dan18 Welcome to the RobotShop Community.

A4WD3 frame with motors: https://www.robotshop.com/products/lynxmotion-a4wd3-rugged-rover-frame-kit
We have the shipping weight at 3.5Kg, but we’ll have someone in kitting re-weight and we’ll get back to you here.

The four motors used are:

Each of these weights 0.41Kg

1 Like

Thank you. Is this the 36GP-540-51-EN motor. The stall torque of the motor is 78kgcm. Can you tell me the breaking (maximum rated) output torque of the gearbox.

1 Like

That doesn’t seem to be a spec provided by most smaller scale DC gear motor manufacturers. The information we have is:

If you have additional questions, we can compile them and contact the manufacturer to see if they can provide any additional information or perhaps insights.

1 Like

Thank you, I would just like to know the breaking (maximum rated) output torque of the gearbox.

Thanks again.
Dan.

We’ve reached out to the manufacturer and will get back to you as soon as we receive a reply.

1 Like

The manufacturer indicates “the breaking max rated output torque of gearbox is around 50kg.cm.” Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thank you! I was just wondering if there is a risk of damaging the motor/gearbox as the provided ST motor controller can provide 25 A peak current for a few seconds. For instance if the front wheels are free spinning and the back wheels are stalled trying to climb an incline. Is there any protection against that?

There is no protection against that (you can always look into adding fuses which stop the motors beyond a certain current). Note that you should not be operating a motor close to its stall.

1 Like

Thank you. I just wanted to check on three points:

• Is the space available inside the chassis for a Raspberry Pi 4 (to run nav algorithms) and an additional of your 2 channel motor controller; so one Pi and two motor controllers. For better current control to each motor, I’d like to have four channels – one channel for each of the 4 motors.
  • Is there space inside, on the front panel, for an Intel 435 depth camera (9 x 2.5 x 2.5 cm).
  • Are the motors that come with the robot the 36mm 12V 170RPM Brushed DC Gear Motor w/ Encoder (1:51). The website says the motors are 27:1 all metal planetary gears so I just wanted to clarify this.

Also, would it be possible to have a quick (~20 min) chat to clarify the above and mounting options, and avoid back-and-forth posting. Many thanks!

Best,
Dan

• Is the space available inside the chassis for a Raspberry Pi 4 (to run nav algorithms) and an additional of your 2 channel motor controller; so one Pi and two motor controllers. For better current control to each motor, I’d like to have four channels – one channel for each of the 4 motors.

Certainly. The inner mounting plate has mounting for two Sabertooth motor controllers (for example the Mecanum version requires control over each of the four motors). You can use the space between the two motor controllers mount a Raspberry Pi.

• Is there space inside, on the front panel, for an Intel 435 depth camera (9 x 2.5 x 2.5 cm).

Honestly not sure. If you’re able, you might need to create a 3D printed extension for this. Do you have access to CAD software? If so, you can test the fit by downloading the 3D model of the frame:

• Are the motors that come with the robot the 36mm 12V 170RPM Brushed DC Gear Motor w/ Encoder (1:51). The website says the motors are 27:1 all metal planetary gears so I just wanted to clarify this.

These are the default motors included with the A4WD3:

Also, would it be possible to have a quick (~20 min) chat to clarify the above and mounting options, and avoid back-and-forth posting. Many thanks!

Unfortunately at this time all of our support is done here with the community or via our internal support system. This allows many people to participate as needed (transferring between engineers or departments), and research answers rather than having to look things up on the spot or not be able to answer (or even give inaccurate answers).

1 Like

Thank you for the support, I have now purchased the complete rover kit.

1 Like