A.T.L.A.S All Terrain Land Assault Sphere (Hexapod)

Ok this had been a long awaited project 'that i started the ideas for few years ago.

Ever since i was young i wanted to build something like this and now that the technology is available to me, Plus i now know what i would need to build it the dream is coming real.

[size=150]The Idea:[/size]
To create a Symmetrical hexapod robot encased inside a spherical housing.
2007:
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/Spherehexapod.jpg

One of the main problems that i faced when i first wanted to start building this was pretty much the whole aspect of the project. programming, building the mechanical parts, getting a sphere, and not only that but figuring out how the sphere should open up to see the hexapod inside. and also getting it to walk

Now that the technology is here thanks to lynxmotion and from learning much of the programming and mechanical advantages that the lynxmotion SES bracket system can offer, i feel its time to see how we do. :wink:
The Sphere:
Here is a new render of the sphere:**
**2010: **
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/Sphere360jpg.jpg

In the next image you can see how the sphere will divide corresponding to the hexapods legs:
**Green = RF and LF
Blue = RM and LM
Red = *RR and LR ***
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/Spherecolor.jpg

The Left and Right side of the sphere is symmetrical as is the Front and Rear.

The grey area at the top will remain in place or slide down towards the front as a shield.
The other grey area on the side above the blue(LM) will most likely fold up or be part of the middle leg.

Another Problem I’m faced with is finding the right material to use. i have looked at Plastics, acrylics, Globe Light fittings, you name it, iv Googled it… one of the main things i needed was it had to be transparent.
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/clearhalves.jpg
but unfortunately the only thing i got back from enquires from several company’s was, they either dont do it in the size i require or id be looking at paying near on £100 for one. Anyway i have opted for a Polystyrene Ball in 2 Hollow Halves @ 400mm diameter. the ID on this is 350mm.
The High Density PolyBall is hollow and comes in 2 halves which slot together.
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/any-split-polyball.gif
the one i have ordered is not what is pictured here but its almost the same. you get the idea.

[size=150]The Hexapod[/size]
It mainly consist of Lynxmotion Brackets with a small Symmetrical chassis in the centre. i plan to have the battery along with much of the robot lower down in the ball so that the weight will always make the ball be right way up. ideal for fast deployment!
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/SDC12357.jpg
The robot will use a slightly different start up posture to allow the legs to move on in a sequence so the it can balance better. i plan to Re-write the Phoenix code v2.0 for this project (no surprise there lol) as it will give a nice base for what i need.

[size=150]The Sphere Mechanics[/size]
As the ball will be very light but high density i hope it will do the job. much of the sphere will be attached to the robots legs allowing the robot to morph out of the ball into a walking hexapod. i may also use a selection of push rods to allow for some panels to move/shift before the hexapod can morph.

I have ordered several Spheres so i plan to do some test runs first.

Anyway my idea is out now so i hope you have enjoyed reading. :wink:

I will also up date this first post on each update to this thread.
More to follow. . .

OMG ! :open_mouth:

You know Jonny, you really scare me now… :wink:
I’ve been trying to keep this a secret, only Jeroen (Xan) knows about this: I’m working with the exact same project idea… :laughing:

I’ve also been thinking about this Sphere morphing hexapod idea for about a year know. Actually, I’m working with it right now. I’ll give you some hint: 31 servos :open_mouth: , dual hexapod and morphing body (variable body size). And for the ball shell I’m using a 28 cm globe, something like this:
http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-2879454reg.jpg

:smiling_imp: And I was hoping to keep my new project a secret. :laughing:

Good luck with your project!

Btw, using the globe was actually Jeroen’s idea. We both went to a toy-shop in Netherlands, and I told him to look for ball shape objects. Some minutes later he came towards me with a globe in his hand… :laughing:

Edit: I’m thinking of sandblasting the outer part of the globe, maybe using some LED’s inside to make it shift colour?

Oh, another thing… The main reason for why I’m making this sphere robot is because of my two sons who loves to play with Bakugan. They keep asking if I can make one… :laughing:

[size=150]OMG![/size]
how strange. great minds think alike! :wink:
i can promise that me and Jeroen have not spoken about anything like this.

i did think about a globe but id like the sphere to have some density so that it will make better contact when closed.
31 servos. . wow.

id be very interested to see the dual hexapod and morphing body.
28cm. quite small. i take it you will be custom making all the parts?

iv already made a chassis that is 46.7% smaller than the Ch3r. 146mm from axis to axis
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/hex-dim-size.jpg
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/100_2709.jpg

My main reason for this project is i Love mechanical art and i think this would be a cool idea. plus till now its never been done. its like waiting for a bus… two always come along at once!! :laughing:

Yeah, I’m amazed that we had so similar ideas! I do love how you are planning to cut out the parts.

You see, my goal is to have a remotely operated ball combined with a dual hexapod inside. I’ve just started to cut the globe into 12 identical parts. The dual hexapod is a hexapod that work both ways (upside down). I’m gonna use 19 x 5645 and 12 x 645 servos. So Felix are going to die… :laughing: And after finishing Archer (hopefully make a more upgraded biped version one time) I’ll use all his servos too.

Actually, I’m planning to use SES parts for almost all parts except for the morphing inner body part. I do hope to start making that part soon, but unfortunately I didn’t get the BB’s from my last LM shipment, and I’ve just realized that I need some extra brackets too :unamused: . It’s not a secret that Lynxmotion is a great sponsor for most of all my servos and SES brackets. (Thanks Jim!)

I’ll probably start my own thread about this as soon as I’ve made the new body part, don’t want to hijack your thread. :wink:

sound very exciting. what material is your globe. metal? be care full of those sharp edges. :wink:

Poor Felix. :frowning: i liked that.

Well yes sacrifices have to be made. :smiling_imp:
I will also be using some of the parts from my ID3 hexapod and also AXIS quad but i can get 90% built without needing to flash my screw driver at them. :laughing:

yes thanks to jim i have an exceptional amount of SES after he kindly allowed me to build up the ID3 prototype for him.
I hope this new project is just as inspiring.

you don’t have to worry about hijacking this thread. im sure it will become of interest being the same kinda thing. look forward to your ideas. :wink:

Its made of 2,8 mm plastic.

Spherical robots!

Reminds me of the Star Wars Droids.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Q-series_droideka

or maybe

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/OG-9_homing_spider_droid

Good luck on the builds!

Alan KM6VV
(looking for sponsor)

Hi Kåre! Just tell me what you need and I will see to it the parts are sent out ASAP! No mistakes this time I promise!

Good to see you found a suitable sphere. i think that might work well.

Alan, The Q-series droideka were very cool. might have even inspired the idea.

another good thing i was thinking about regarding the Polyball is that it can be easily calved and sanded. The joins can be tapered and made to form over each other. even lap with no visible trace. iv even been told that once i have finished it there is a hardener i can buy that can coat the outside with. :wink:

Hi guys,

Both of your ideas sound great!
I always thought it would be fun to do something like that. My earlier idea was when it was folded up that it would look something like a rock. With maybe only a few camouflaged sensors and then it could open up and walk to the next location…

With the sphere design do you expect them to roll as well?

Kurt

Zenta, the LED idea would look great. One of the reasons i wanted a transparent sphere. I would have liked to use a blue color for when it is closed and a red when walking. Would have been nice to make it so the sphere is misty. Like sand blasted glass.
The other thing will be attaching the sphere to the legs. Sensors would also be cool. The plan would be too have it so that it closes when movement detected, wait 5 seconds and if no movement detected it would open up. Would make a nice exhibition piece.

Hi Kurt, thats my plan to make work. My biggest concern is the total weight of the robot with all those servos, thats one of the reasons for using digital servos.

Looks like we are thinking very similar about this. At first I won’t add any LED or other extra stuff since the total weight might be a problem. But I’ve been thinking of adding some bright blue LED’s or some tri-color LED’s, that would be awesome! The important part now is to put together the whole robot and make everything to work. I’ve not decided if I should go for a BBII/SSC32 combo or an ARC-32. I think I’ll try the ARC-32 board at first for saving space and weight, but it might be a bit limiting if I want do add more stuff like sensors and LED ++. I’ve also bought a 6 DOF IMU for sensing the current orientation and movement to the ground.

Sounds great Jim! I’ll send you a list after work today. :smiley:

BBII/SSC32 combo would add to your weight as you say and yes the ARC would solve this but as you say it depends on what else you might be thinking of adding. i dont plan on having the ball rolling so im opting for the BBII/SSC32 combo.

i have already made a few changes to the sphere design and also i think i might have the 4dof leg design for this. still working on ideas.
Taken with my Phone. (camera broke)!**
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/Image047.jpg

Im also thinking of changing the chassis design. been looking at a smaller version of this:

ill do away with the tubes and mount the hub directly to the brackets.

Hi Guys,

funny to see that Jonny and Kåre got common “brainwaves” :slight_smile:

Good to hear you already started the project Kåre! With the Globe!! :smiley:

I’m excited about what you guys will come up with!

Xan

I think they call it the Lynxmotion bug. lol. :laughing:
im very excited to see Kåre’s work on this. i have a vision in my head of what this should look like but i know that Kåre has the tools and craftsmanship to pull of what i can only dream of. ideally i need to find a clear plastic sphere that can be easily cut but still be strong. im still looking. maybe i should try looking at clear domes. and just get two! :unamused:

Example: :wink:
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/newchassis-1.jpg

Iv been looking into making a device made up of push rods and three servos that will be self contained inside the top of the sphere that will open the sphere independant of the hexapod. So technically i could open and close it without even having the hexapod inside. Like a remote control animated armor. This why it means the design for the hexapod can be changed. Then the frame that i make inside will attach to the top of the hex and with the bottom of the sphere actually attached to the underside of the hex i can house all the electronics in there. Keeping the weight as low as possible. With the sphere frame acting independantly of the hex i will lose that cool walking ball look, so with this i plan to attach a pair of push rods to the top of the legs to the inner parts of the sphere along with some ball barings so that when the hex walks it still makes each 1/6th of the sphere segments move too. My sphere will arrive this morning so i think by the weekend ill have a chance to play about with these ideas.