A quick question about helicopter rotor thrust for new idea

It might be early - I’ll keep it as a surprise. :laughing: :wink:

Let me know if you have something to be cut… HaHa

Will do. ^___^

Just a little preview. :laughing:

AKdaBAOUS

Well one thing I’ve verified today is that I have no decent concept of time … :laughing: :mrgreen:
A few things I should mention about the model …

I’m feeling lazy so I haven’t replaced the 3 blade propellers with 2 blades - they will be 2 blades in the real thing. ^___^
I still have to add the following things to the model:

• Battery pack
  • Docking System
  • Push/Pull System for the Docking System (I’ll explain later with a diagram - not sure if the idea will work though …)

Hm … have I missed out anything …
Ah yes, the motor-motor distance is 37cm - I decided to go for 12 inch propellers so I increased it accordingly.

I’ll post some more photos along with some videos tomorrow. ^___^

Enjoy!

AKdaBAOUS

Eagerly following your progress. The body size seems to be quite large (length and width) for the servos you are using, so be sure they can handle the torque during regular walking.

Yes, I see what you mean - I’m pretty sure the 645’s can handle it though so it should all be good … at the moment. ^___^
I think the battery will probably determine whether or not the servos will work since it’s going to be the heaviest single object on the robot.

AKdaBAOUS

Hi everyone! :mrgreen:
Just a small update …

Here we have the Docking system Push/Pull Mechanism - you may remember me mentioning something about the docking system top lifting up, the feet sliding into the hold and then the top coming down and clamping it in place?
Well the two servos here will be used to perform that function.

The idea is based on one of those scissor lifts:

Oh, and before I go on, the servo horns that’ll be used will be one of those long pointing servo horns (e.g. infinity-hobby.com/main/images/servo/TL1108-2_2.jpg) - I don’t have any with me at the moment so I couldn’t make an accurate change to the servos on the model. ^___^

So using a pair of those pivoting thingys (using the technical term there :laughing: ), I’d have them attach diagonally onto a piece of material that’s attached to the bottom of the top half of the docking system (hence the gap in the middle of the docking system models from before). The sketch below gives a rough example of what I mean. :mrgreen:

Docking System - PushPull Mechanism.png

Do you guys think it’ll work?

Moving on …
The battery pack will be mounted in between the two faces - I originally got the idea from Zenta’s A-Pod. ^___^

And then there we have the battery pack. :mrgreen:

AKdaBAOUS

P.S. I’m working on the docking system as we speak - just trying to make sure that everything fits properly.

Hi everyone! :mrgreen:
Sorry it’s been quite a while but I’ve been really busy (actually, I won’t be free until after next week when we break up for Easter but I should be able to come back to the project then ^__^).

Um … I just had a few questions I wanted to ask before I progressed on with the robot - if that’s okay … ^___^

1. In terms of electronics - I have the following idea for a circuit board and I just wanted to see if the idea was ok for this project.
    The intention was to use an Arduino UNO for controlling the ESCs for the quadcopter motors and then a servo controller (like a SSC-32) for the servos?

2. I’m planning on using a 14.8V Li-Po battery pack so as far as voltage regulation is concerned for the servos and chips - would it be best to use a UBEC over normal voltage regulators?

Um … that’s pretty much it I think. ^___^

Thanks in advance! :mrgreen:

AKdaBAOUS

Hi,

I would use a dedicated board for QuadCopter control.
Then in some way you can probably talk from one to the other… but i am not a programming master…

Most copter use 3s LiPo, that is quite important that you match your motor KV (rpm per volt) to the batterie you want to use (or the inverse… lol)

Eric

Ah ok, cool. Thanks for the info. :mrgreen:

AKdaBAOUS

Hi everyone! ^___^

I’ve started some more work on the project again and I’ve got a few updates … :mrgreen:
I had some 3D printed brackets cut out for testing purposes and I’ve got some finalized designs for the leg brackets.
I have some ideas for a new docking system/feet brackets but I still need to test them out. ^___^

Anyway, here are some photos/images. Enjoy! ^___^

AKdaBAOUS

Hi everyone! ^___^

Just some more updates … :mrgreen:
My motors have arrived - I’ll be using MS2814 Tiger Motors with 12x3.8 propellers.
I was planning on using a 4S Li-Po battery so I could get the maximum amount of thrust but as DiaLFonZo mentioned before, most quadcopters use 3S so I’m still looking into that.

Anyway, here are some photos of the brackets, etc. - Enjoy! ^___^

It’s finally nice to have a physical object in front of you. ^____^

AKdaBAOUS

Wow… getting together… :wink:

1DOF legs?

Alan KM6VV

Yep - I was trying to keep is basic due to weight concerns. :mrgreen:
If this robot works out well, then I’ll downsize future models and hopefully add more D.O.F’s in. ^____^

AKdaBAOUS

hay looking nice. :wink:

Good choice of motor… Eric’s influence? i know he like those.
How strong does the chassis feel? any flex to it at all?

Yep, he picked it out for me. :mrgreen:

There is a bit of flexing in the front and back but once I add the battery base plate and one for the circuit board along with some spacers, it’ll be totally gone. ^___^

With 1DOF I doubt you can do much walking.

Alan KM6VV

I’m hoping to get some basic walking and other motion out of it but the main thing is getting it to fly. ^^
I’ve also designed the brackets so that by drilling some servo holes here and there, I can add a 2nd D.O.F to each leg. ^
^