A mini relay like chip?

Here is the setup, I need a picaxe to "push" 2 buttons when it receives a high digital input.
I will be using a picaxe08M and will have 2 digital inputs(2 buttons) and to digital outputs to triger the relay.
I need somethink like a relay but much smaller, about the same size a the picaxe chip.
It only need to handle 5V.
Anybody know of something that would do the job ?

How much current/voltage are you switching?

There are reed and opto relays in a Dual Inline Package (DIP) form factor like an IC. Be sure to check the specs for the appropriate voltage and current limits of the relay.

Opto relay examples:

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts-kws/panasonic-electric-works-solid-state

Reed relay examples:

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts-kws/dip-reed-relay

Do you definitely need a relay? What sort of current/voltage connection are you making? Can you explain your need for the size limitation? DIP package relays are not that big.

how about an LM386?
It wouldn’t really work exactly like a relay, but it would be able to crank higher voltages with just a digital out …

I only need to be able to

I only need to be able to control 2 buttons so only need 2 digital outputs. <o:p></o:p>

The circuit I am making is to push the start and reset button on a C-Stamp (more complicated version of a Picaxe), the C-stamp runs on 5V and for a button to be “pushed” it need to be connected to G trough a resistor. <o:p></o:p>

Not a relay exactly but
Not a relay exactly but something that works in the same way, a small current that can operate a switch that controls a much larger current, in this case the Picaxe will be receiving 5V and the C-stamp works on 5 V so the voltage difference is not the problem I just need a switch that can be controlled by a high or low input…

It seems to me like he want

It seems to me like he want a curcuit that is normally closed, but when 5v is applied to the controll input a connection is established between to other connectors. So he wants the funtionality of a relay, but in a smaller package…

I suggest you read up on the links posted by ignoblegnome and deside what kind of voltages you plan to use.

Just use the digital outs through a resistor

The Picaxe digital outputs can sink or source about 20 mA each. Couldn’t you just run the outputs through a 330 ohm resistor and set them to logic low to trigger the start and reset buttons on the C-Stamp? Since you are just driving 5V logic, there should be no need for additional current drivers like a Darlington or external transistor.

Am I missing something?

I don’t get the big
I don’t get the big deal…If 20 mA are enough then just to as ignoblenome suggested, if you want some more then a BJT transistor does the job, that’s all!

Does a switching transistor
Does a switching transistor act as a relay?

They both can be considered

They both can be considered switches, the only difference is the way you switch them on and some other things. For example, a transistor is much faster than a relay, but the relay is better if used for high voltage applications.

In vince’s case, they both would do the job, so going for transistors makes it cheaper.

Relay driver
A ULN 2003 is perfect for relays and is rated at 500MA. It has 7 drivers and cheap too. I would send the data sheet but don’t know how. Google it.

It just sounds too simple if

It just sounds too simple if you know what i meen, but I will still try.

Just finished puting the circuit together, wil lhave to wite a simple code and test it.

Thanks for all the help

Thanks for all the help !
It turns out that connecting the switch to my Picaxe through a 330 resistor and setting the pin to LOW was all that I needed to trigger it !
I will try to integrate this idea in to my current robot so that reseting and starting the micro controller will be that little bit simpler.