A little help with Wall-E

Good morning, my son and I are building Wall-E (he is a robot :rolleyes:) and need a little help with motor control boards. Wall-E will weight about 380lbs. that’s 172.365112 kilograms for us metric speaking folk. Oh YEA! Sorry, back to business! As I was saying, 380lbs with skid steering on tank tracks. I have 2 wheel chair motors off of a Jet3, I think they are 24V around 30A (I think), I’m not sure how to check the volts and amps rating on the motors. I have a DX6i remote and receiver, and I’m not sure how to connect the receiver to the motor control boards. Maybe I can use a daughter board or something, I’M NOT SURE = need a little help. :smiley: Here are a few pictures. OH YEA!

Thank you all so much!
Love Cole and Dave

I can’t upload pics. So Sad, any ideas? :angry:

Love Dave… again

Edited: Here is a Link or two

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/204/walle39.jpg/

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/1007123h.jpg/

Lets see if they work. :slight_smile:

Thanks dude, I don’t have the original hardware from the chair, all I have are the motors and the original batteries. I’m not sure how I could test it or where to look to find out the voltage and amps. I am assuming that the motors are 24V at 30A. I will have to do some more research. Thanks again.

One last thing, I should be able to upload pics right? I don’t need so many posts or anything do I?

Thanks
Dave and Cole

Thanks Coleman, I will try that. These boards are expensive, are there breakers or fuses or anything that might be able to help protect the boards?

Thanks
Dave and Cole

Thanks dude

Dave and Cole

Cool, thanks dude.

Dave and Cole

Hi kermit911,

Welcome to the RobotShop Forum. That’s almost a full sized Wall-E robot you’re building there. Impressive. You just need a multimeter to check voltage and maximum current (be sure to take many safety precautions when dealing with high current). If you think you need 30A or more, check out the High Power DC Motor Controller category.

Hope this helps,

Hi,

If you want to assume the motors are 24V at 30A continuous, we suggest a 50A+ controller. You should be able to upload images without issue - click to “advanced view”. You can also upload attachments.

Sincerely,

Many of the boards have built-in protection (over current and thermal), though not all. It’s important to read the documentation to know exactly what each board has.

Sincerely,

Also, it is very important to use fuses. Much like in a car, I would suggest using a fuse right at the battery input and another fuse at each motor. That way, you will be sure you will not blow up anything. Especially if you are not sure of the motor specs, using fuses would be recommended.

As for uploading images, it seems the feature is broken for some users, we are working on repairing it. It should be available shortly.