A fast robot

I want to purchase a quadrupedal robot that is fast enough to adopt multiple locomotion gaits, e.g. walking, trotting. galloping. Most or all of the kits I can see are insect or amphibian inspired (with legs coming out from the sides), rather than upright gait quadrupeds, more like a cat or dog. They also look to be rather too slow to investigate any of the higher speed gaits adopted by quadrupeds.

Any ideas?

Boston Dynamics has created such prototypes. Look up the Cheetah project to see how the creator uses springs to have the robot “run”. A similar concept is also used on the “OpenCat” project.
Not too many such projects which are commercial and / or provide the information needed to create your own.
It might be that a quad with more direct drive motors (one at each joint with a simple mechanical structure connecting between) is easiest to design / create.

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. I am a Universiy researcher, so I am aware of the Boston Dynamics products, but was looking to see if there is anything available in the hundreds of £ bracket, which I somehow doubt is the case for anythign from Boston Dynamics, However, if nothing comes easily to mind for you, you probably know a lot more about the commercially-available sector than I do, so I guess I can assume that there isn’t anythign that I have missed.

Thanks.

We’re still human (at least that’s what our programming tells us), and there are new products coming out on the market all the time. Keep looking a bit and if you do find something we missed, fell free to tell us.