A circuit to make a 3 way switch

Thanks a lot for the support you people showed last time.
I want to make a circuit which has 2 LEDs and a normal on/off switch (at least) and other components as required.
The circuit should function like this-
When i turn the switch on for the 1st time, LED 1 glows but LED 2 remains switched off.
When i turn the switch off for the 1st time, both LED 1 and 2 remain off.
When i turn the switch on for the 2nd time, LED 2 glows but LED 1 remains switched off.
When i turn the switch off for the 2nd time, both LED 1 and 2 remain off.
Please provide me with a circuit diagarm for the same and oblige. :slight_smile:

After looking at a couple different ways

that I could think of doing what you asked. It would seem to me that an 8 pin PIC/PICAXE would be the most simple. You would connect the switch to an input and each LED to an individual output, then write a simple program that reads the input from the switch. When it goes high once, turn on the first LED. When it goes high a second time, turn on the second LED. Rinse. Repeat.

I doubt circuit-wise it will get any simpler than using a small microcontroller.

If you don’t want to use a

If you don’t want to use a micro controller a 4017 for example will do the job. Then you have actually 1-10 outputs. But you ned to debounce the push button. So a Picaxe 08/08M might be the best choise as birdmun mentioned. Debouncing can be done by coding then.