A Bob Like Any Other, formerly Dollar Store BoB

2016 After having this project on the shelf for 3 years, I finally bought myself a 3D printer. Now that I can print BoB's chasis, I plan to have him finished within the next few weeks, depending on when my new battery packs arrive in the mail. Better late than never, right?

2013 From the start, I have admired the 3d printed bipeds named BoB. I considered buying a 3d printer of my own but I couldn’t justify the expense, nor do I know a single person with access to one. Instead, I have decided to cobble together a BoB of my own using a lightweight plastic flower pot and a couple of dollar store mini-Frisbees for the feet. Some of you might consider this to be “missing the point” when it comes to the BoBs out there, since the idea revolves around the 3d printed pieces being the singular defining factor, but I am confident that my finished project will be a suitable homage. This will be my first project with an arduino board, though I wish I had started with them instead of Picaxe. Nothing against the Picaxe boards, but there aren’t many resources for teaching yourself to use one on your own. My biggest trouble with acquiring parts for this build have been with the legs, as flat plastic “L’s” are harder to find than you might think. I have resolved to use old erector set pieces, but I am worried that they will be flimsy. I plan on beginning assembly next week after I grab the servos I left at my buddies house and get a new attachment for my Dremel.

Bipedal movement, obstacle avoidance

• Actuators / output devices: 4 servos
  • Control method: autonomous
  • CPU: Roboduino
  • Programming language: C++
  • Sensors / input devices: Ultrasonic sensors

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/a-bob-like-any-other-formerly-dollar-store-bob

For inspiration!

https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/node/37851

That one really is super cool

That one really is super cool