4'X4' Custom tracked all steel RC mower

Hi All,

Great Forum, I’ve read through some thread but this is my first post here I’ve been working on this project in my spare time for over 2 years (I don’t get much spare time lol) In that time I’ve managed to design/build the track system and chassis but now I’m to the early stages of getting the electronics working and this is for sure my weak link.

I decided to go with the Sabretooth 2x60 I currently have two 12v 35ah deep cycle lead acid batteries wired in parallel to make 24v, Using the Futaba 4grs 2.4ghz controller.

I wired this project up with the wheel chair wiring originally using the lead to the chair controller like an umbilical cord and drove it around, but it was pretty slow, I was thinking the controller was cutting the motor RPM’s down due to thinking it was a wheel chair (keeping a handicap person from throttling into doorways) My thought was I would install the Sabretooth and it would open up these motors a bit so I removed the motor brakes, I installed the Sabretooth and paired the remote but it just barely turns the tracks over now.

Now this machine is very heavy, I would say it weighs just over 400 lbs with the mower attached

Now I said I can build just about anything from metal, but when it comes to wiring I’m lost to say the least.

I guess my dream is that someone on here will say I built one almost just like yours and here the wiring diagram that works lol but the reality is once I can start uploading pics ( I guess I have to have so may conversations before this is allowed)I’ll post some photos showing my progress so far and then maybe I can get your input on the situation.

Thanks for your time!

Rick.

Hello @Crawler07 and welcome to the RobotShop community,

I currently have two 12v 35ah deep cycle lead acid batteries wired in parallel to make 24v

I guess you mean in series. Wiring the batteries in parallel won’t double the voltage but the capacity.

Now this machine is very heavy, I would say it weighs just over 400 lbs with the mower attached

Make sure the motors you have can provide enough torque to move the robot.

This tool might help you find out how much torque you need:

You should be able to upload pictures now.

You can find how to wire the driver, battery, and motors in the user’s guide

I hope that helps!

Yes, I wired the two batteries in series making 24 volts (thanks for the correction)
Thanks for the Motor sizing chart only problem with these motors are that they have gear reduction and no markings indicating the reduction values or the HP rating.

Can you post wiring diagram/drawing? Do you have the dip switches set correct on the 2X60 (mine are ↓↑↑↑↓↑)? Is anything binding from the tracks?

Cool looking tracks, I would love to see more.