3D Printed Binary Clock

Hi, this is a binary clock that I made for fun out of a Teensy 2.0, some 3mm leds, and RTC, and a 3D printed shell. It displays the current time(in 24-hour format) in binary on the front face of the cube. It has an RTC with a backup battery inside so that it will keep the time even when unplugged. The outer shell of the clock was 3D printed at U of D Mercy when I was attending an Engineering summer camp there. We were allowed to design anything we wanted that fit in a 2" cube and have that part printed on their machine. I wanted to make something that I could use in an electronics or robotics project, so I decided to design the shell of a 3D clock. It is hollowed out on the inside with 5mm thick walls and 3mmx4mm counterbores on the inside of the front face so that the 3mm LEDs could shine through the plastic.

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

The clock is powered through a mini usb cable since there was no room inside for a battery.

IMG_1931.jpg

I chose to use the Teensy 2.0 as the brain of the clock because it has 25 I/O and is very small. I did not have enough room for any extra chips, so I needed a board that could individually address each LED. The Teensy reads the time off of a DS1307 RTC. The clock also has an LDR inside so that it can dim the LEDs when it is in a dark room. That way they arent too bright at night. When closing up the clock, I stuff some cotton in all of the open spaces so that the parts inside can not move and become damaged.

IMG_1934.jpg

That is really, really neat!

That is really, really neat.  Strangely coincidental, I’m due a free 3-D print from Instructables and was thinking about something with LEDs glowing through just this morning but didn’t consider a binary clock.  Any chance you could post the .STL file for download?

Thank You

Thank you. Unfortunately, I actually dont have the .stl file right now. It was saved on the servers at the summer camp and I am currently trying to get it from them. I will post the .stl file as soon as I get it. Also, when you say that you are due a 3-D print from instructables how did you get that?

Many Thanks.

Great if you can get the file, but no sweat if you can’t.

Getting the free 3-D print was totally accidental!  I was one of the first 10 people entering the Electronics Tips & Tricks Contest in a certain week and had my Instructable featured.  I didn’t know about it before the e-mail arrived.  The original post was on the ‘community’ boards.

(Rats! - Done it again.  That was meant to be a reply.)