3 hours long protocol

Hello,

I am working with a AD5L robotic arms using FlowArm PLTW.

I am trying to create a 3 hour long pattern using AL5D that consists of many 1-minute tasks and a lot of long waits in between. For the waits, i plan to insert multiple patterns that would have no command. Each of these blank pattern with no command would take up close to a second and hence the long wait if I keep on adding them.

Does anyone see any issues with what I am doing? Would this create chances of burning any servos just because the whole protocol is 3 hours long?

All constructive comments are appreciated.

Best,

KBCA

1 Like

Hey @KBCA,

Welcome to the RobotShop community! :slight_smile:

It may be simpler to instead create your various patterns for your 1 minute tasks and trigger them externally at the right moment, either through virtual key presses (you can asses a key press to your patterns) or using the physical inputs on the SSC-32U.

Yes, running any RC servomotors (especially under load) for more then 15-20 minutes will definitely cause issues. They’ll effectively heat up until something breaks.

What you need to do during your waiting periods is send a position signal of 0 (or 65535), which represents a logic low (0) or high (65535). Most RC servomotors, when no proper control signal is present will go limp. While they do stay powered and ready to go, they’ll cool down. Of course, since they’ll be limp once you send a P0 command, make sure to move the arm into a position where it will not fall down/hit something unexpected/etc.

Sincerely,

1 Like

Thank you so much for your input. I am new to this so do rely heavily on the software.

I am using the FlowArm PLTW and not really sure how to send signal to 0. Would inserting command “HOME” before the wait serve this purpose? In other words, would sending robotic arms to “HOME” position during the wait help with cooling down servos? During the waits, robotic does not need to do anything. Thanks, KBCA

1 Like

After you send the arm to the home position you still need to force them to go limp, too. But yes, the home position is probably a great place to rest the arm at.

1 Like