28 pin Project Board (AXE020), Picaxe for dummies

Yes, follow the instructions
Yes, follow the instructions here: Datasheet

thanks, that did it, just

thanks, that did it, just wanted to make sure because it seemed so simple, thanks again.

Driving a step motor?
I realy wonder how I’m gonna drive a. step motor with this board. any comment?

http://194.201.138.187/epages

http://194.201.138.187/epages/Store.storefront/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/GBX008

However, if you want to discuss this further, I’d suggest that you create a seperate forum topic, so it will be better indexed for the next person seking the info :slight_smile:

Also try searching here on the site, just write Stepper Motor…

Motor wires

Are you brave guys soldering wires directly onto the board - eg for motor connections, Area G in the picture - or are you soldering some sort of header pins onto the board then using a plug for the connectors?

Mike

help with the second power supply?

is there a way to connect a second power supply?

thnx in advance

Check above?

There’s a section in this thread called " So - what´s with the V1 / V2? " that might be a good place to pay special attention to.

Is there something confusing about that section?

at first… yeah…

at first, i was looking at the wrong picture. couldn’t be much dumber, could i?

thnx for making me look closer

Can this work?

Hi, I’m looking forward to build an robot like the third of your tutorial, but with another ultrasonic sensor to prevent him of falling of tables. I’m trying to know how I’ll build that when the material arrive. So, can I build it like this, will it work? (of course, with the right program)

Correct me guys, If I am wrong

Hi XICOMDB

I am only trying to learn this stuff so dont take my word for granted.

I dont wan to say more than…

Do NOT Connect 6v to where you are pointing unless you wish to see smoke :stuck_out_tongue:

The max you can put in there is 5v 3 aa cells will give you 4.5v which is just great.
Or you could use 4aa rechargables which will give you 4.6v

If you have to use 6v you will need to connect it to the yellow box at the bottom right of this picture.
Not so sure about the rest.

6v where you want o put it will plow your picaxe and SRF05’s

Your motors and servos I think will be good where they are.

I repeat that this is my uneducated guess and wait for one of the pro’s to comment.
I only commented as a test top myself to see if I have learned anything.

And most of all RTFM

Good luck

g_code is correct. Check the

g_code is correct. Check the section on V1 and V2 voltage supplies.

FYI the ultrasonic range finder may be overkill for an edge detector. It takes some processing, a timer, and considerable code for the range finder to work. If all you want is to keep your bot from falling off a table, you don’t need detailed range data. You just need “I see something close” and “I don’t see something close”.

An infrared emitter/detector pair or (in low light) an LED and a Light Dependent Resistor (LDR) might do the trick. These setups could be interrupt driven or polled (frequently) to detect an edge.

IR works really well for
IR works really well for edge detection. So does a LED and LDR. Also you can go hardware and have a switch that is in the front of the robot. When it is pressed by sitting on the ground it is high and in safe mode. When it goes over an edge it doesn’t put pressure on the switch and causes the pin to go low which = danger. You just have to keep checking the state of the pin to see if it is in safe or danger mode.

** Not sure your servo and**

Not sure your servo and motor pins will work with that configuration,
From what I can remember the L293d (chip used to drive the motors) uses output pin 4, 5, 6, 7
So you cannot connect your servos there, you can only use pins 0,1,2,3 for servos.

Robotic arm

How much voltage needed for a pair of simple robotic arm & how much the 28-pin board can support the maximun voltage?

Thanks

I think we are going to need

I think we are going to need a lot more detail to answer your question. I strongly suggest you post a new forum question rather than try to answer it on this post.

Two power supply question

Ok, so the diagrams above aren’t perfectly clear, unless I am missing something. If I have a second power supply connected, will the motors I have connected to the motor control (the four pins, that allow forwards and reverse once a motor ic chip is put in, the pins marked by section g) use v1 or v2? I am assuming v2, but I want to be sure.

If you use 2 power supplies the motors will run on V2

In the section of this post that discussed V1 and V2, look at the picture that shows where V1 and V2 are used. See the IC slot for the L293D motor driver? The chip can use two voltages (one for logic, one for motors). The chip is wired to get both V1 and V2 (which are the same if you leave the jumper in place). If the jumper is removed and you connect a separate supply, your driver with use V2 for the motors.

Servo problem with two power supplies
So, i have hooked up a second power supply to my picaxe 020. I got my parts from the LMR solarbotics starter robot bundle. I bought new motors and they clearly needed more power. Well, i’ve got it all hooked up with the new motors and a second power supply v2. Anyway, i don’t think my servo likes the extra power at all. Is there anyway i can reduce the amount of power to just the servo? My servo is freaking out and i believe i still need more voltage to my motors, i think the servo is going to fry if i give it any more juice. Can i throw a resistor in between the controller and the servo?

You are pushing the limits

You are pushing the limits of a standard board now. The advantages is that you have a head start, but you cannot do as much as if you where designing the circuits yourself.

There is only one V2 on this board, and that is hooking up to the servos and motors.

The motor driver is making a drop on about 1.5 Volts, unfortunatly. So if you feed it say 6V, the motors only get 4.5.

What you can do, is to use a seperate motor diver. There are many cool ones, easy and cheap, search the components section for Motor Driver and similar.

However, when all this is said; Normally servos accept quite much, I would not be afraid of feeding a standard servo 7 Volts, actually I think many of them are rated 7.4 - So if you are above this, you should be looking at a completely new setup with external boards for both servos and motors. You can then use the Picaxe board as a central controller, and control all the more powerful things from it, and feed them their own voltage.

But all in all I think you should just make sure that your motors fits the rest of the setup. They should not need more power than servos minus 1.5 Volts, then they are to big for the rest of the setup.

Ok, thanks for the help.

Ok, thanks for the help. Guess i will need smaller motors. Yeah, I had about 7 AA’s in, i think that is probably too much for the servo. I heard a loud pop when i hooked it up and it started acting a little strange. I removed power quick, luckily it still works, seems a little off now, if it breaks, i have two more servos though. Too bad that this isnt going to work, because i had these mitirs all mounted and eveything and had built a nice chassis for the robot. I think the motors would have been too powerful anyway, i think it would have been too fast and would not have been able to stop in time to avoid hitting a wall. I suppose I will save these motors for a future project. Well, it was worth it even though it didn’t work, because i have learned so much more. I think I need a new project though, because i feel like i need to learn something new. Are there any more beginner robot tutorials here, something a little more advanced?