2 way Wireless Serial Communication from Computer to an Arduino using a WiiMote

OBJECTIVE

The point of all this is to empower the already powerful wiimote.  Without any modding the wii can already talk to a computer using a variety of libraries  (wiiuse for C, wiiusej for Java)

But there is not much ability for the computer to talk back to the wii.

In order to turn your wiimote into a powerful robot - you will want a micro-controller connected to it.

Now, I want my computer to talk back and forth to the micro-controller.  How do you do this?

Well, there is the possibility of the microcontroller to pretend its a wii extension , but again this is one sided. The uC can talk to the computer, but the computer can't talk to the uC.

If you solder the buttons & LEDs to the uC this might allow another form of communication.

IMG_0001_1.jpg

The computer can turn the LEDs on and off on the wii which will be transmitted to the uC.  And the uC can control the buttons on the wii which will be transmitted to the computer.

Sooooooo, in rapid succession turning on and off buttons and leds will make serial communications between the uC and the computer !

Many possibilities could come out of this.  For example, SLAM is very data/processing intensive, especially visualizing the Mapping.  At the moment it would be very difficult for a uC to create 3D maps, however, the computer can do this.  So, the WiiBot travels on the floor transmitting position and range info to the computer, and the computer transmits movement controls back to the WiiBot...SWEET !

SERIAL DETAILS

This blog will be the search for 2 way wireless communication to a WiiMote using the button pads and LEDs.

If this is completed communication will be established like the following

Computer <----serial over bluetooth through buttons & LEDs-----> wii-mote <-->Arduino.

Which might be able to provide framework for remote wireless bots & other fun projects.

So Far I have connectivity both ways, and even the beginnings of full serial connectivity... but there are parts still missing.

Details coming...

As a reference this is one of the best diagrams I found on the web for what Arduino wants is a serial packet.  Commonly referred to as 8N1 - found here

The period of the start bit lasts this long for the following baud rates (I think)

9600 = 0.000104167 pause
2400 = 0.000416667 pause
1200 = 0.000833333 pause
  300 = 0.003333333 pause

So, the Java code on the computer side looks like this

int period = 4; // this would be 2400 baud

// beginning of start bit
lineDriver.pulseDown();
Thread.sleep(period);
// end start bit

StringBuffer s = new StringBuffer(8); // for logging (the binary string)

// 8 random bits
for (int i = 0; i < 8; ++i)
{
int x = generator.nextInt(100);
if ( i < 9) //&& i < 7 //x > 150 &&
{
lineDriver.pulseUp();
s.append(“0”);
} else {
lineDriver.pulseDown();
s.append(“1”);
}
Thread.sleep(period);
}

// the stop bit
lineDriver.pulseUp();
Thread.sleep(80); // extra time just to be nice

Experiment 1

Yarg!   The “inverted” did not work, in fact it “feels” like it should be the other way.

The hookup looks like this :

LED 4 on the wiimote is hooked to pin 2 on an Arduino

The Arduino code looks like this:
Which just tries to read the serial LED from the wii and prints it out on the monitor.

#include 
#define rxPin 2
#define txPin 3
#define ledPin 13

boolean ledState = false;
int counter = 255; // To slow down the LED blinking
byte incomingByte = 0;

NewSoftSerial nss(rxPin, txPin);

void setup() // run once, when the sketch starts
{
Serial.begin(9600);
nss.begin(2400);
pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT); // sets the digital pin as output
digitalWrite(ledPin,ledState);
delay(2000);
}

void loop()
{

if (counter > 0) {
counter-=1;
} else {
ledState = ! ledState;
digitalWrite(ledPin,ledState);
counter=255;
}

if (nss.available() > 0) {
incomingByte = nss.read();
//Serial.print(incomingByte);
Serial.print(incomingByte,HEX);
nss.print(incomingByte);
// Serial.write(incomingByte);
}

delay(1);
}

Output

bad_serial_1.png

Unfortunately there seems to be occasional data when the data in, is all 0's and just 0's when the data is all 1's.. so I think the inverted thing is a red herring.

The good part is 1 number is getting written out for 1 number written in... that's a little encouraging...

I'll flip it back and start trying different baud rates...

Experiment 2

By Jove, I think I'm close ! I set the serial input on the Arduino at 300 -> nss.begin(300); 

And left the period = 4 in the Java code and look !
The following is the serial monitor where a bunch of 1's was written then a bunch of 0's..
Its great, because it looks like its framed correctly, even though the data is inverted.... occasional garbage appears hmmm..
So I think I was 1/2 off with the period... at least.. and maybe a fraction more with the little garbage... 

good_serial_2.png

Now to invert the logic and attempt to stabilize it.

Yarg ! - can't seem to clean it completely... I assume it has to do with delays on the computer side, but have not completely convinced myself.  Tried much longer spans of time between sending bytes.... did not seem to help.

The 0's are really solid, but the 1's lose the LSB occasionally... I think that would correspond to a computer delay...not sure
Any serial guru's out there?

pretty_good_1.png

UPDATE - 5/31/2011

After attempting to bit-bang it and use other techniques to get stable serial information, I gave up and tried using parallel.

Strive to Fail ! 

And the serial stuff was definitely a failure, not only was it crappy rate (< 150 bps) - but even at the slowest it wascompletely unstable.
Next I looked into the possibilities of parallel communication.  Parallel ports on computers use a "strobe" pin as a means to synchronize peripherals.  To use this synchronization meant I would only get to use 3 leds for data and 1 for strobe.

In addition is a wii initialization issue.  The wii when initially connecting with bluetooth flashes the dang leds on and off.  So I wrote some Arduino code which knew how to disregard this garbage and look for a magic byte to initialize and re-assemble bytes from the 3 bit parallel / serial protocol.

Now with some experiments I get a ~1.5 Kbps data stream that is flawless !

Dead Wii !

At this point I have fried the wii, because I was impatient and hooked the Arduino's 5v to it.  In retrospect this was completely stupid.  I could have solved the voltage problem just by tapping off 2 of the 4 AA batteries driving the Arduino.  If someone (birdmun?) had the gumption, they could put together a really impressive & inexpensive little bot ($16 Arduino $25 Wii - pocket laser - couple of motors or continuous servos).  It could have WiiDar and roll around mapping everything for your computer wirelessly. 

Holy Mac - writing this make me want to do it !

As promised here is the Arduino code (or specifically - the guts which deal with the parallel communication)

In setup - it just setting the pins to INPUT

if (serialCommType == WIICOM)
  {
    pinMode(LED1, INPUT); 
    pinMode(LED2, INPUT); 
    pinMode(LED3, INPUT); 
    pinMode(LED4, INPUT); 
  } else if (serialCommType == VIRTUAL_WIRE)  
I have a getCommand routines which uses a 3 byte protocol - 
there is an if statement which can easily change the form 
of serial communication
boolean getCommand ()
{
if (serialCommType == WIICOM){

if (strobeState != digitalRead(LED1))
    {

// strobed - data ready
      strobeState = digitalRead(LED1);

newByte <<= 1;
      newByte = newByte + digitalRead(LED2);
      newByte <<= 1;
      newByte = newByte + digitalRead(LED3);
      if (nibbleCount < 2)
      {
         newByte <<= 1;
         newByte = newByte + digitalRead(LED4);
      }    

++nibbleCount;

/ must comment out debugging - if using serial for control /
Serial.print(nibbleCount);
Serial.print("-");
Serial.print(newByte, HEX);
Serial.print("\n");

// the wiimote flashes its led when first searching for a connection
      // this can be a little problematic - so we take care of it here
      if (!readySteady)
      {
        if (newByte == 0x00 || newByte == 0x07)
            {
              nibbleCount=0;
              newByte = 0;
//Serial.print(“disregarding\n”);
              return false;
            } else {
Serial.print(“first nibble\n”);
              readySteady = true;
            }
      }

if (nibbleCount > 2)
      {
        nibbleCount = 0;
        ioCommand[byteCount] = newByte;
        ++byteCount;
        newByte = 0;

/ must comment out debugging - if using serial for control /
        Serial.print(newByte, HEX);
        Serial.print("|");
        Serial.print("bc ");
        Serial.print(byteCount);

if (byteCount > 2)
        {
          return true;
        }

} // if nibbleCount > 2

} // if strobeState

} else if (serialCommType == VIRTUAL_WIRE) …

The full pde file can be found here  http://code.google.com/p/myrobotlab/source/browse/trunk/src/resource/arduinoSerial.pde

The Java code which talks to it can be found here 

http://code.google.com/p/myrobotlab/source/browse/trunk/src/org/myrobotlab/service/Wii.java 

It’s an inverted world !

Writing your work down in detail can help.  For example, I just noticed 1’s are low and 0’s are high (who made rs-232 ? the same guy who invented thermometers?) …

Looks like I have a flip experiment to do :slight_smile:

RS232 != UART

I learned from my wireless serial experiments that true RS232 is very different from what 5V single supply MCU’s call “serial”.

Since then, I take “UART” to mean “serial, but with inverted logic and voltage 0 and 5V (sometimes even less)”.

Bit-Banging

I remember BOA using the term, but know knowing what it was until I just looked it up on Wikipedia. 

Regrettably, I can’t see the possible jitter as I have nothing at the moment that has high enough resolution… DOH.

RS232/422/485 and the like

RS232/422/485 and the like are all communication standards, whereas UART/USART is just a general descriptive term for a module that performs serial communications.

A UART/USART module could use RS232, TTL, IR, fibre-optics, or any number of other transmission protocols. Typically they’re made to be as flexible as possible.

Standards

Right, Thanks. So there is no specific name for inverted level, low voltage RS232 then? That’s too bad. The confusion is biting many beginners.

The low-voltage stuff is

The low-voltage stuff is usually referred to as TTL or CMOS, particularly when describing 3.3V (CMOS only) or 5V single-ended signals. Unfortunately it’s still best to check the logic levels in the appropriate datasheets if you want any real assurance that things will match up, especially if a proper standard hasn’t been cited.

Unlike TTL and CMOS, some industrial standards use dual supplies, with signal levels like 12V and -12V. Others may use differential signalling, so instead of a common/ground/0V reference you have two lines per channel, with each line taking the state opposite of the other line (15V and -15V for high, -15V and 15V for low, other states are considered a fault).

It’s easy to get caught out with all the terminology, but fortunately most hobbyist and consumer products work happily at either CMOS or TTL levels, or both.

DIGO

Data In Garbage Out

crap.png

So this is why serial com is not done in Java directly.  It's too slow (not to mention all the problems not running on a real-time OS.  I have push, pulled, tweaked, hammered and the outcome I currently have is not really worth calling "serial data"

Above is a picture of the Arduino receiving the most time critical data value AA or 10101010.  Java has millisecond sleep/delay time resolutions.  At 3 milliseconds 300 baud is the best rate possible.  I looked at some nano-timer implementation, or in some cases "non-implementation" here - but it begins to become OS platform dependent. 

Close, but no cigar.. I guess I'll have to implement a weird 4 bit parallel protocol for the 4 leds vs a single serial ... meh...

I feel a headache coming on... :P

Solved ! Now with Parial !

Strive to Fail ! 

And the serial stuff was definitely a failure, not only was it crappy rate (< 150 bps) - but even at the slowest it was completely unstable.
Next I looked into the possibilities of parallel communication.  Parallel ports on computers use a “strobe” pin as a means to synchronize peripherals.  To use this synchronization meant I would only get to use 3 leds for data and 1 for strobe.

In addition is a wii initialization issue.  The wii when initially connecting with bluetooth flashes the dang leds on and off.  So I wrote some Arduino code which knew how to disregard this garbage and look for a magic byte to initialize and re-assemble bytes from the 3 bit parallel / serial protocol.

Now with some experiments I get a ~1.5 Kbps data stream that is flawless !

Next
Augment MRL Arduino Service communication which previously only used serial connections to use this new wireless connection. This should allow all the previous mrl functionality and gui’s to work over this $25 wireless communication without modification.

Shweeet ! - Headache gone !