Let's Make Robots
This is the first of many contests which RobotShop will organize on Let's Make Robots
(L.M.R.). In August, RobotShop.com announced the acquisition of Let’s Make Robots
(LMR), a website that brings together the world’s largest community of robot makers and enthusiasts. RobotShop is proud to support and encourage this community, so this first contest is specifically for members of Let's Make Robots. If you're not already a member of LMR but want to participate in the contest, joining LMR is free!
|This contest involves using FlowBotics Studio to create a popular (stand-alone) robot-related software application (“App”). Don’t have FlowBotics Studio? Don’t worry! If you have been a member on LMR for over 6 months, then you can register and get FlowBotics Studio - Download ($40 USD value) absolutely free! If you’ve been on LMR for less than 6 months, or are a new member, you can register for the contest and get FlowBotics Studio - Download at half price.
- Create a new stand-alone App using FlowBotics Studio
- Provide the FlowBotics Studio (.fbs) program used to create the App
- App should be “new” and not simply add a bit of functionality to an existing app
- App must be in the form of a .exe file (exported from FBS)
- If malware is found, entry is disqualified
- If the App is found to have been plagiarized without credit to the original creator, it will be disqualified. The App should contain at least 50% new material; it can build upon existing apps, or reuse aspects from existing apps. *
The jury (see registration for details) will select the winners according to the points system (maximum 20 points) described below.
|Implemented and useful features & functions
||1 - 8
|Use of custom interface elements (images / Ruby, etc.)
||0 - 3
|Can interface with many different hardware platforms
||0 - 3
|Visual appeal and ease of use of the interface
||0 - 3
|Simplicity of the app code / modules / links
||0 - 3
|Can interface with Arduino (with an appropriate sketch provided with submission)
||0 - 1
|Submitted before Sunday, November 1st
||0 - 1
||Tuesday, September 22, 2015
||Thursday, October 1 2015
|FlowBotics Studio coupons will be sent by e-mail on
||Friday, October 2 2015
|App submission deadline is
||Sunday, December 6, 2015
|Members who have been registered on LMR for at least 6 months can register for this contest and receive FlowBotics Studio ($40 USD value) FREE. Members who are new to LMR and register for the competition will receive 50% off. For all deadlines, the cut off is at midnight (EDT) on that day.
Help / Support
Feel free to ask any questions related to the challenge here in the comments below. If you need more information on FlowBotics Studio, you can check out the Developer Zone here. We also recommend reading the user guide, the component reference manual and checkout the example robotic apps that come with the software. There is also information on the FlowBotics studio support forum that you may find helpful and can help solve many common issues quickly.
If you are curious about what is curently offered on the RobotShop App Store, you can have a look here. If you have more questions concerning the App Store, you can read the FAQ here.
- Basic Arduino interface as IO board (ex: using Firmata)
- Will require sample code (sketch) to be uploaded to Arduino
- Rover interface (control buttons and two-way communication via serial port)
- Arrows to control the motion
- Receive sensor data
- 2D or 3D “map app” using pan/tilt and distance sensor (IR, laser, etc.)
- Simple interface for time lapse camera rig
- Interface with MyRobot.com
- Automated camera slider (ex: time lapse)
You can register for the competition and to obtain the FlowBotics Software coupon code by contacting us via the LMR contact us form. Note that we will only send the coupon codes once the contestant has been verified and apologize in advance for any delay.
You can request (or nominate someone else from the LMR community) to be a member of the jury by submitting a ticket to the LMR department via the contact us form.
To submit a project, you must create a robot project page on LMR and then link to it in the comments section of the contest (on the LMR website) before the submission deadline (Sunday, December 6, 2015). You can give your post whatever name you want, but when you submit it as a comment here, please give the comment the title "FBS Contest Entry: Project Name" (Project Name changed to the name of your project) so it is easy to find, and include a short description of your app and its main features. The more detailed the description the easier it will be to assign more points to the entry appropriately!
RobotShop is offering the following to the winners in the form of RobotShop in-store credit:
First Prize $500
Second Prize $300
Third Prize $150
- Only members of LMR can participate in this contest, so if you’re not a member, then join - it's FREE after all!
- The coupon codes for the software will be emailed to all eligible registered user on Friday, October 2 2015. This coupon code can be used on the RobotShop website to purchase the FlowBotics Studio software for free or at 50% rebate depending on the code used.
- If the App is made public (for sale) via the RobotShop App Store, source material will be taken offline.
- If you already had FlowBotics Studio, no additional credit will be provided in place of the 50% off for < 6mo or free FlowBotics software for > 6mo.
- If you were already working on an App using FlowBotics Studio, you can certainly submit it.
- Multiple entries per contestant will be accepted. For example if you want to submit an App but with different aesthetics or layout, one may get more points than another.
- * We do understand this is subjective, but in the spirit of this contest, the objective is to create something new, and not just change a few colors. If you’re not sure if the app you’re working on is sufficiently different than something which already exists, then there’s no need to ask - it more than likely is and more work should be done to make it different.
- In order for the App to be accepted for sale via the RobotShop App Store, RobotShop staff will contact the creator and may request and help with specific changes such as implementing a license system.
- All apps created for this contest remain the full intellectual property of their creators/publishers. Apps will only be published on our app store if the creator wishes so and with approval of RobotShop. The prize money is completely free of any future requirements from the app creators and is offered to help promote this contest and participation.