Would anyone be interested in an XMOS challenge?

I have not announced which kit is being given out yet!

No, I am pretty sure we are not giving away our XDK $999 dollar kit :stuck_out_tongue:

(which is not really targeted at individual buyers/hobbiest market as far as I am aware).

However, if some projects are so amazingly awesome upon completion and have great potential to be expanded etc, then maybe the best of the entries which are completed and actually work, might get the chance to use some of our pricier kit as a prize.

I will have to see what budget I have left! So do not take this to be written in stone just yet.

Hello there!

Thanks for posting. I think this is a good use, combining it with other systems and using the benefits of each system to do things that it can do best!

In terms of loose processors, would they have to be of the L1 type - ie LQFP/TQFP instead of our older processors which are BGA?

Right. My Bad

Right. It was the only kit i could find for the XS1 because I didn’t look hard enough. I figured the XC series would be for an XC proc or something. stupid. It seems I keep posting comments without reading the documentation / references well enough. I have to stop doing that. Sorry

i have to say: I’m very curious about this proc. But like I said: too little time.

No worries!
No worries! We all lead busy lives so easy mistake to make, and to be fair, if I was new to this as well, I probably would have thought the same thing!

I understand that any

I understand that any “incidentals” i would need to go with my project would be out of my own pocket. That’s understandable, and doable.

And i agree that it would have to be built up block by block. I think though that it may be a tangible project, as the xmos seems to be very powerful, and I can see where it could have a lot of potential to do many different things.

**ok, thanks:) **

ok, thanks:)

Loose Processors

LQFP/TQFP are fine, the rational is that I find it is sometimes easer and cleaner to dedicate a processor to a task, givening a simple tight and clean peice of code with an indepent and testable interface than try squeeze the last bit out of a particular processor. As this is a hobby for me and free time evaporates many times the selection critera is what is quickest rather than elegant.

I do enough squeezing the last clock cycle out at work

best regards

Cliff

Ok, I shall consider this if you are one of the chosen ones!
Great stuff. I dont see this being a problem. What do you do workwise out of interest? :slight_smile:

Working for the man

Hi XMOS,

Oh, it is boring :wink: I work in the IP Multimedia Subsystems (IMS) field, architecting the future next generation network networks and platforms. Enabling such things as immersive communications, tele-presence, location based services, augmented reality, IPTV, Mobile TV and other cool stuff. Basically trying to use up the worlds bandwidth :slight_smile:

all the best

So it is you blocking up the tubes…

Now I know why my connection is so slow at home. :stuck_out_tongue:

Still pretty awesome stuff to be involved with though.

My thesis was in mobile/location based services/social networks/reality mining etc. Certainly the way things are going.

My Next Robot

Well it is a small world thesis in intersecting worlds. This is a sketchup diagram of the robot I am working on (one of two). This gives you an idea of the physical architecture of my project.

Leaf_002.jpg

when is this
when is this dev kit ment to come out(be on sale)?

Over the next month or so

I believe the new dev kit will possibly be released over the next month or so. I will be in contact with everyone again once I have them in my hands to send to you all.

Do you have deadline in which you need it by if you are to participate? I would be interested to know.

We may end up giving different boards to different people depending on their project type as they might be more suited to that.

I would be interested in one
I would be interested in one if they arent too pricey. I don’t have a project in mind bu tI would like to make some tutorials on how to hook it all up and do some basic operations to others can learn how to use it. I want to do the same projects on 3 or 4 different PICs so people can do a side by side comparison and determine which is best for their needs/skills.

**This is great! **

This is great! I would be most interested for some feedback as to how we compare with your more traditional routes of development, and get some feedback too.

If you were looking to buy XMOS products, feel free to check out our website www.xmos.com

However, for the purposes of this XMOS challenge, we will be giving some kits away for free to the most deserving projects (exact number and type of kits TBC)

Hope that helps.

sweet
i had a look at ur site and some of the chips sound pretty cool ,but i cant realy tell what they are and if the can be used to control servo motors, but i must say they seem pretty cheap for what they can do.

motor driver boards?
does xmos have any motor driver boards?

Board designs
We are considering potentially releasing some board designs that have this type of basic functionality which if people are interested can get made up very cheaply with 3rd party companies.

In fact I am sure you could start a whole business just making boards for XMOS processors that are targeted towards specific things! However, we ourselves are not a board company, we are more of a chip company, our development boards are there so people can try out our processors quickly and easily. You can connect whatever you want to them assuming you have a basic knowledge of electronics etc and happy to get out the old soldering iron!

Servos and motors etc
Our chips can very easily be made to control servo motors. In fact one of the robots in the video uses servo control. I am glad you are impressed with the price!

your chips
are your chips surface mount or just normal? can you get a board to put them on etc?