Would anyone be interested in an XMOS challenge?

it took me a while to find

it took me a while to find it

yeah
yeah

Project - Outdoor Nav

Project - Outdoor Nav robot

I’d like to build a robot using the XMOS, that would read data from MEMS Accelerometer and gyro sensors to be combined for IMU data. This data would be used to corroborate odometry data taken from incremental encoders and possibly GPS for accurate robot positioning in an outdoor environment. XMOS device may also read ranging sensor data, as well as provide PID motor signal control to h-bridges.

What form of analog inputs are available on the XMOS devices, if any?

Estimated requirement would probably be one device.

Project progress can be marked with either video or photo or both.

Yes, thankyou. I try to
Yes, thankyou. I try to quantise everything into integer form where possible anyway (can’t avoid it on most micros), so this is quite convenient since fixed point is just integer form shifted back a few orders.

Title: Compact Robotic

Title: Compact Robotic Automated Planter (C.R.A.P, hehe)

Description: I posted this as an idea in a previous thread and thinking about it more I really want to do it. Basically its an automated gardener for those of us who enjoy fresh tomatoes, strawberries whatever but cant touch plants without them dying the next day.

A rectangular planter box has a linear track running its length, on which is attached an arm. The arm has several changable ends allowing it to check the soil humidity, water the plants and pick fruit. Plants can be changed to several preset varieties with parameters like watering, sunlight levels and the picking colour hardcoded. A camera will recognize the different fruit types and check its colour against the ideal "ripe" colour. It will be safely picked and put in a container at which point some notification will be sent to go get the fruit.

Kits: 1.

Log: Photo and video.

Just a quick idea! :smiley:

Title: Lazy ■■■■ People (LAP)

Description: Ever forgot to turn off a light, TV, and various other appliances? Well act now! Get LAP and don’t worry about being surprised by outrageous electricity bills! Using a reflective sensor, a few IR LEDs, Sonar, and a thermistor, setting up a bot to travel around your house in a set course, and checking the temperature, and looking for light sources. If it notices you left on your TV, no problem! Send out the same IR code to both LEDs, so it hits both sides, in case of being blocked in one direction! Have a newer fan/heater controlable with IR? Even better! Setting the bot to check temperature in each room, if it’s not satisfactory, can set to turn on heater, fan, or turn it off. There’s a possibility of adding a base station, complete with RF, LCD screen and even easy-to-do commands, with the push of a button, can have it turn on your TV a few rooms over, and start your heater! Oh so many ideas!

Kit(s): 1, or possibly 2, depending on a base station.

Log: Pictures

my idea in the proper format

Title: B5 (Blogging Beverage Buddy BBot)

Desciption: Based primarily on visual input, the B5 seeks out humans in order to provide beverages for them. The visual input is compiled and uploaded via webserver to an ongoing blog. Temperature, direction, tilt, and light levels will also be observed and recorded.

Kits: 1

Log: Pictures, video, production blog, and robot-produced blog.

ferret robot

operation ferret

have you ever asked you parents " mum ,dad can i get a ferret?" only to be told " no youve got enough pets!!" well that happened to me , well not quite but you get the idea.

plan: ok i plan to build a robot that can move almost exactly like a ferret (thats a lot of servo motors) hopefully give it some sort of emotions with likes and dislikes(certin colours make it angry or loud noises scare it ). and with radio control features

kits: just 1 i think

Diary : can do both

and just incase you didnt know what a ferret was it is this

images.jpg

I like the fusion of robot and human
That sounds pretty funky :slight_smile: Adds a great twist to traditional computer based chess games. Thank you for subscribing! I shall let you know more when we have our new kits delivered which may be a couple of weeks, I was not expecting so many people to be interested in such a short timescale! This is great!

Nice idea!
A vending machine should be very do-able with our processors and is a great example of parallel goodness in action!

Please answer the questions in the top post to be considered!

I am glad you are interested - though please could you post answers to the questions listed in the first post to be considered.

:slight_smile:
lol, thanks for subscribing!

Nice ferret!

Quite an ambitious project, though if you pull it off I will be most impressed! Sounds pretty cool! And yes, we have ferrets in England too :slight_smile:

You may need another depending how much I/O you have going on to all those servos! How many were you thinking? I can ask around and see what the apps team think would be required.

Ethernet - we support that.

That is interesting. The videos recorded by that might even be more interesting!

I think there is a very good match here with our development boards that have ethernet ports on them (see our XC2 kit)

If this is of interest to you, I will see if I can get one of these to you instead if selected, though no promises as these were not the ones we were planning to give out for this challenge. Will let you know or give me a poke in a few days (as my inbox is overloaded with project requests!)

Jason.

Sounds great!

As stated possibly before, my background is more on the Computer Science side of things, though this should be doable.

We already have GPS code which you should be able to reuse from our open source XMOS community over at Xlinkers. And I am sure people have used gyros etc before too, so I highly advise you ask any specific hardware related questions there as they can provide you with a much more in depth answer as I am more from a software background.

I believe you would need to attach some form of ADC if you wanted to get data from an analog source on one of our dev cards in the same way one of the videos uses an ADC hooked up to a LEGO Mindstorms color sensor as input.

Is that ok?

Nice Title :slight_smile:

This sounds very do-able. You could probably market this quite well if you managed to make it work seemlessly. Imagine a whole farm of these things!

A nice mash up of robotics/comptuer vision/interaction. I like it!

Nice pitch! Useful too!

It is robots like this that I think people will welcome into our busy lives and such as we often overlook things like leaving lights on when no one is in the room! Combine this with the fact everyone is going "green" and eco-friendly, and you have a fun little product there!

Maybe you should link it wirelessly somehow to an X10 system so it itself can control the house lights etc. Is it X10? I think that would be even better then! Though it would have to be pretty damn sure that no one is in the room or else you may get your light turned off just as you are about to eat your dinner! :slight_smile:

Is this replacing your other idea?
Is this replacing your first post entry? If so I think if you are blogging stuff then the kit I mentioned is still best.

I like the X10 idea, but

I like the X10 idea, but that would make things too easy! :stuck_out_tongue: More hands on, DIY type! :smiley:

And who doesn’t like eating dinner in the dark?:stuck_out_tongue: Include some code to do a “body” scan before intiating uber “shutdown sequence”

Seems like WiFi would be awesome, don’t need much range, it’s pretty common so it could be used by just about anyone!

well

the servo problem im thinking ill need about 32 of them, so i would use your dev board to control several picaxe 28 motor drivers

i have some plans drawn up (by hand) and a couple of ideas floating around in my head oh, and some polymorph should be ariveing soon so ill play around with that see if i can get the mechanics to form and stuff , sweet!!