Wanted: SES brackets / Lots to trade or cash

:open_mouth: That’s just about perfect! :smiley:

I’m just amazed at the size and weight. Less than 8 oz for 12,000 mAh. Considering you say the 3000 mAh pack would be 3 oz each, I hope you didn’t make a typo here. However, even if it was 6 oz per pack, that would be okay. Thanks again for working so hard on this for me.

There are only two very minor issues. The first is that my charger can’t do 60000 mAh. The second is that 3/4" might be just a tad too thick, although in the picture the pack honestly looks fine. I think both issues would be solved by using just a slightly smaller capacity pack. However, if getting 5000 mAh (say by using 5 1000 mAh packs, I’m assuming mixing 2 2000 and 1 1000 would be a really bad idea) would weigh or cost considerably more, I’d say just to go with what you wipped up. Considering the energy density at work here, it looks like I should be getting a higher capacity charger anyway.

That said, I think it’s time you PM exact prices and billing info. for the packs you pictured here or any other choices you might think would fit my needs better and not be that hard to make.

Two final questions. The first is what type of plug are you going to put on (if any), so that I can buy the necessary mating connectors. The second is how important is a covering for those cells? In the pics they look a little fragile with only a thin membrance holding the chemicals inside. If they are easily damaged or ruptured, let me know so I can plan on some lightweight armor for the packs. And if they could use some protection how difficult would it be for you to make some carbon fiber boxes for them to fit in? If this is too much trouble for you or would be too costly, it’s not major. I have some lightweight aluminum sheet which would do the job just fine. However, this would be a great use for CF and I think would look really cool on my bot.

Sorry but the 2 packs pictured are 6000mAh in total. The packs have to be wired in series, to double the voltage, not the capacity. I did this because I needed to make 2 X 3 cell packs. Each cell is 3.7 Volts so I need 2 cells together to make 7.4V. So to make the packs have equal amounts of cell, I wired the cells in parallel in pack.

So each pack is 3.7 Volts and 6000 mAh. If wired in series, they will be 7.4 Volts and 6000mAh. (If you wired the packs in parallel they would be 12,000mAh but only 3.7 Volts)

I can go 6000mAh 7.4 Volts PER pack, so you get 12,000 but the packs would be twice as thick. Still lighter than NimH packs but the size is inevitable.

For plugs, it’s up to you. I can solder the plugs onto the packs and wiring harness and give you a spare set as well. Just let me know:
The length of each pack lead (to get up the leg and meat at the harness)
The length of the harness to get from where they meet to your board.
Do you need bare wire ends to attach to your board?

For plugs I have:
Tamiya Standard
Dean Ultra
Astro Flight
Zero Loss
JST

Deans are my preferred plugs for all my low and high current applications.

If these packs are too thick, the 1000mAh cells (I have pictured last)are slightly thinner.

I could do 2 X 2000 mAh 7.4 Volt packs for 4000mah 7.4Volts in total. It would be alot cheaper too.

As for protection. The cells are just taped together to show you the size. I use heavy duty battery shrink for my lipo packs to help protect them. Lipos are fairly rigid on their own once in a pack and shrinked. They are mostly vulnerable to punctures (very bad). I can double shrink them for you. With double shrink, you probably couldn’t push a thumb tack through if you tried. They would be fine so long as they aren’t dropped at high speeds from 20 feet in the air. :slight_smile:

I’ll PM you pricing.

Ah… Each pack is 3.7V at 6000 mAh. I thought you used some 7.4V cells or something.

As far as power connectors go, I honestly don’t know what system I’m going to end up standardizing on. It would probably be best to just make the wires long and leave putting connectors up to me, should make things easier for you too. What is your opinion of the Lynx power connectors vs some of the RC ones you’ve used? I can certainly understand if they don’t stack up since most people here aren’t pushing that much current. However, if they are fine, it would be nice if all my packs were compatible.

If the options are to go with 4000 mAh (2 cells) or 6000 mAh (3 cells), I’d rather err on the side of too much and buy a better charger. I really would like to go to at least 10000 mAh, but I can understand if its not possible with the size restrictions.

Thanks again for all the help. I’m leaning now to get 4 of the 3.7V 6000 mAh packs. That would give me the most flexibility and be around the amount of money I originally wanted to spend too. On my current bot, I’d probably just mount two of them. However, when the Mega brackets come out, I’ll be able to use all four.

That said, I almost hate to do this considering how much time you’ve put in to helping me, but maybe it would be best to wait until the Mega brackets actually came out? Consdiering you’re not making a large amount of profit on these packs, it shouldn’t matter if I order now, or in a month.