The MAAHR Project

4 hours…

Moderate activity for 4+ hours on a not fully charge battery… the 12V battery dropped to 8V (started @ 11?) at which time the PSU put the computer into a forced hibernate (I think…I’ll see shortly) and gracefully shutdown (we’ll see)

I’m now going to stick the battery on a charger… for long periods of time would it be dangerous to have the charger charging while it’s running?  I would assume not, since the PSU is used for automotive applications and the alternator is charging the battery system on a car while its all running.  This is a lead acid battery & charger.

Any thoughts?

How old is that lead acid

How old is that lead acid battery? You might replace it :slight_smile:

Ya - its about 3 years old

Enough time for sulfation…  On the bright side, it’s good enough to test the PSU works !

How’s the base going?  What’s the plan to get them connected?  We could connect them through the intertoobs, heh - that would make a long spinal column :stuck_out_tongue:

I need to start looking at creating some big motor controllers for the outside base, unless KRUMLINK 1 Mw comment was for me…

Hi GroG,Parts still not

Hi GroG,

Parts still not arrived. This can take one or two weeks. I planned to send you the base after I’ve built it.

I am sure Krumlink will help you with the motor driver (but was it not 1kW?)

Off to ignite some more explosives…

Do you guys read Servo

Do you guys read Servo Magazine?

There is a robot pretty similar whith this project, built by Anthony Cherone, although not as advanced as we want to build it. Check it out:

http://servo.texterity.com/servo/201108/?pg=58&pm=2&u1=friend

Yes I can help with the H

Yes I can help with the H bridge, just message me what is required and I will make it work :smiley:

Stupid question

I believe my linux is up to snuff, but, in your latest update you mention # systemctl … The # means root, right?

Yes…

That is correct - systemctl is one of the weighty command which you can do loads of damage if you’ve been drinking…

Typically, the prompt # means your logged in as root and can proceed to format the disk,  $ is usual for a non-root user - although with the login scripts the prompt can be changed to anything…

Alternatively, in windows you typically see C:>  and can still format the disk :) 

My components for the base

My components for the base are still not arrived. I guess they’re hanging in the Chinese costum again. Arrgh

No worries Markus

Honestly, I thought you would be completely wrapped up in lunar and daughter project :slight_smile:

I’ve got some parts around here that I’m trying to put together…  Trying to make everything modular so we can quickly put better components together…  Should be a good paradigm for design, as long as my junk parts do not hurt anything

Hey GroG put me down for the

Hey GroG put me down for the Electronics group, I’m looking forward to helping out!

Very good!

Very good!

Indeed I am busy like hell,

Indeed I am busy like hell, but I want to build that base but I do always have this costum problems when ordering something from robotshop.

Any further funding needed, let me know.

Done…

You have H-Bridges which will drive the wheel-chair?

I can Design MOSFET driven

I can Design MOSFET driven ones.

Sure !

Bring the power !   I have some BOA Bridges I’ll have to dust off and see if they work…

What voltage are the motors?

What voltage are the motors? You could always use opto isolated relays for quick and cheap. I have 2 24V relays I can donate for this that will drive the motors great.

They are 24V

What current rating are they? The BOA Bridge uses a MOSFET for PWM.  They need rather high PWM too - opto-isolation would be preferrable.  The wheelchair is for a “heavy” person - I don’t know all the specs for them … stalling current ect, but I have had them melt previous H-bridges…

Is this project still being

Is this project still being worked on? It’s been a while since any updates have been posted, and I was looking forward to seeing the final result…

Yes, very much so…Many

Yes, very much so…

Many updates have taken place, mostly on the software (MRL) side…  A dependency manager has been put into MRL, and although this took a generous amount of time to develop it is well worth it.   A dependency manager, manages all the complexities of sub-projects, the installation, and upgrade of those dependencies.  Managing dependencies is one of the most challenging aspects of complex software.  There are only a few applications, I know of, which do well in this area :

1. Drupal - has a great upgrade/installation/module design
2. Yum or Apt-Get depending on Linux flavor excel at this

MRL 15 will have a dependency manager - (albiet probably buggy - its a start)

Other priorities include support Ro-Bot-X in his new soccor game project - http://myrobotlab.org/content/playing-robot-football-online-using-mrl

And DancesWithRobots - with his Houston project - http://myrobotlab.org/content/houston

New functionality which can be applied to multiple projects including MAAHR will have the highest priority.  Since quick updating and stable changes going forward were applicable to all projects, the dependency manager was a high priority (unglorious as it is) 

For the future of MAAHR, it is still my intention to create a online/communal “learning” environment in which participants can log into MAAHR and help “teach” object recognition.  The data collected from these sessions will be processed and hopefully evolve into something interesting.

Not sure of an ETA on the final result :slight_smile: