Smart Saltwater Tank controller using EZB, Relays, Tip120 transistors and a Computer PSU

This is the Saltwater tank controller I made and I will make a smaller one soon.

There are systems that exists called reef keeper systems but they are 2000 + dollars so this is a DIY project that pays off literally.  In this system I used a 1U rackmount server case and the built in PSu.  I will utilize the PSU to power the Relays 12 volts and the 5 volts for the EZb controller.  I can use any voltage5- 17 volts but since I already had it available thats what I used and it keeps the regulators cool.

I had assistance with the relay configuration from my roommate Dan W.  because I had never wired a SPDT before and he memorized the wiring for the pins. He was also my second pair of experienced hands when converting the psu for continous use outside a pc.

Basic parts needed

- EZB V3

- 1u Rackmount case

-1 psu for pc

-5 relays

-5 tip 120 transistors

-5 diodes

-5 1k resistors

-6 different color wires

- 4-5 different color electrical tapes

-5 switches

-5 servo ext cables red white and black

all the normal saltwater items, pumps, wave makers, filters, uv sterilizer, actinic lights, daylight bulbs, 18 kdusk or dawn bulbs ect

empty case

I added manual switches so that the lights can be turned on or off at anytime without accessing the microcontroller

Inside view of the switches. they are automotive switches and used a 3/4 inch bit to drill the holes

I descided to line up the relays and bolt them down.

Here is the Tip 120 set of transistors to trigger the relays, they open to ground and allow me to control the 110 volt power to the aqaurium components

The center barrier strip is for the 110 volt connections.

Here the TIP 120 have been connected

I used zipties to organize wiring

I used the tape to color code the wires in case repairs needed to ever been made in the future.

This is the 110v power wired that connect to the 110v powered tank parts, pumps, wave makers, filter, 3 sets of lights and a UV sterilizer

Fully assembled and ready to test !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN8rDjpq7Ts

contributions

THanks Max,  I have only been doing this since last year, I do a project every couple months or so.  I guess I have about 15 right now, a few done a few in progress. :slight_smile:  I still have a few to upload it just takes along time.