ROV submarine

Although the gyro would only
Although the gyro would only be sensitive to rotational movement, the accelerometers would still be affected by the ROV’s acceleration/deceleration. In any case, will the ROV have such significant acceleration to disturb the sensors noticeably, and does it need to read the compass value constantly?

Don’t know, it’s up to
Don’t know, it’s up to maneuver…i personally wouldn’t check the compass quite often but that’s just me.

just to get a general idea
The compass is just to get a general idea of where the ROV is heading. I think a led-style compass with 8 leds would be sufficient I guess. Just to know whether it’s driving towards land or is aiming for the Atlantic Ocean.

Hi Guys, Just some comments

Hi Guys,

Just some comments from an ex RC sub builder

Normal RC (27Mhz - UK land system) works down to around 1.5m as long as the receiver aerial on the sub is totally isolated from the water. Electronic compasses would be the logical way to go to know the course. Keeping depth by pumping water in/out is very hard to control enough to hover. Also lets water potentially enter the pressure hull, so flooding can be problem.

Main advantages of umbilical are 1/ no need to carry batteries in hull so sub is smaller. 2/ something to pull on to get sub back in emergency.

Hope this helps

Pete