Rotary walker entry for Rescue Robot Challenge

Hmmmm!! On the other hand -

Hmmmm!! On the other hand - when driving with the wide end front, you meet obstacles with a wheel that either misses the obstacles, or lifts you over… Hmm… Now I actually think the wide end first - approach _is_the best!

Please find an uneven terrain, and do me an A/B test, please! :smiley: Just switch it on for 20 seconds, and see which way it got further!

**batteries **

hi nice wheels/tracks. In the second video you said the batteries where in series to get double the amps but in series you get double the volts. If they really are in series ( and you haven’t just misspoken) you are running the motors in 13.8v maybe that is why they are so fast.  

Sorry- misspoke. They are

Sorry- misspoke.  They are currently in parallel.  A lipo battery pack is on its way that should give me the discharge rate I need.  (currently one pack is older then the other and they self charge and cause heat problems)  

Hahaha I know- its odd to

Hahaha I know- its odd to think about.  I guess at the time I thought “toe in” would be better then “toe out,” but a test is on its way 

And yes your right about the

And yes your right about the widest part first thing.  Luckily there are no narrow obsticles in the contest- just one longgg wall

I wonder

if at some point this locomotion scheme will require encoders on the parallel motors. Heck, I wonder if encoders wouldn’t help current reduction with this setup. If the motors are working against each other while they are tied together, they will draw more current than if they were working together.

My comment is not meant to lessen the kewl factor of your current drive train.

Also, side note, a pair of xbees and a couple of microcontrollers could give you more than 6 channels.

Arty bot
Arty,arty,arty,arty,arty…

I am inspired

I don’t know if you came up with this kind of locomotion by yourself but it is pure genius.

You are obviously a very talented person :wink:

One might even say that “Engineering is strong with this one!”.

I disagree with BotFIN, this is not an arty robot, it is both techie and arty.

It’s been snowing a lot over here in Eastern Europe, in some places the snow has completly covered people’s houses and I always carry a shovel in my car - helps with parking. A robot like yours would be really fun to drive around in the snow. There are several improvements that could be made, like bending the slats in such a way that they come down flat on the snow or adding tires to the drive wheels so the robot can drive smoothly on flat surfaces… I hope I can find the time to build my own version before the snow melts.

Here is a picture of a house:

zapada_vrancea_01606500.jpg

Nope- I did not invent this

Nope- I did not invent this type of locomotion.  However, I have yet to find any documented robot that uses it, so when building mine I did have to start from scratch and try various angles (which I found to be very critical), wheel sizes, and slat numbers, before I found a design that goes straight and turns well.

Haha wow!  We’ve got some snow here, but I havent tried it outside in the damp.  I’m going to avoid risking the electronics and motors till after the contest, then I’ll go try some fun off-road stuff- maybe even convert it to be amphibious.  

Anyway- I’d love to see other people’s take on this idea.  Your right about adding tires (I considered this), but having all the traciton on the wheels when it’s on a smooth surface may create too much “toe in”- where the wheels on the left and right drive against each other.  At least that was my reasioning, but I’m sure it could be made to work.  Goodluck!

;D

If it is arty and techie bot, then it is arty >:)

And…

Arty or techie, still it is very nice,great, amazing and others.

Thanks. And with

Thanks.  And with everything I build I achieve the task first, then focus on aesthetics.  Vary rarely do I make decisions that sacrifice the function of the robot just to make it look nice.   

Cheers!Nice botBest Of luck

Cheers!

Nice bot

Best Of luck for the challange…!

Check out this robot from

Check out this robot from 2007: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy3ZxT90-p8

This could be used as an ATV if scaled up!

I wasn’t able to watch the
I wasn’t able to watch the last video but I knew that it was probably pretty cool so I went ahead and chilled it.

**Thanks! **

Hey thanks man :smiley: