Robot sensor for detect and measurement differences in height and unevenness of the floor?

Is there any example on youtube how does that work ?

1 Like

Personally never looked - it’s too specific an application. You’re welcome to search. You might see a lot of results talking about SLAM

And whether it is better to use a camera, for example when we sit in a car and looking out the window while the car is moving, our eye can see that all the exterior objects are “moving” in the opposite direction of the car movement, so if we place the camera on the moving platform of the robot against the wall, during the motion of this robot the pixels of the camera will also move in the opposite direction, if the robot goes uphill, the pixels will move obliquely downhill, so I think then if the camera is of good quality and with the appropriate program those pixels could track and project an image of space orientation based on the speed, direction and direction movement the pixels from the camera.

This possible in theory, and how is in practice ? Is it explained somewhere on the internet​ which camera is best for it, how to program it ?

1 Like

I’m not sure how this will work without some sort of reference on the wall. I’m assuming that the wall that you’re working with is going to be a standardized color (white, beige, light blue, grey…) without a pattern for orientation purposes.

Is the robot that you are designing/proposing for one location or do you plan on utilizing it at any indoor area?

Possibly having a reference on the bottom of the wall for the robot to follow would make sense?

check_tape

In various locations, but I think whatever color, the pixels are moving in a function of the robot’s movement, so theoretically a position (coordinates) can be created relative to the starting reference point. The position of the robot in space is then a function of the movement of the pixels on the camera and data from the distance sensor.

I guess what I’m wondering is that the paint stroke/pattern will vary by how it was applied (whether brush or roller) and how the painter actually applied the paint to the wall (horizontal, vertical, circular, angular…). Even the imperfections in a paint and or physical wall will need to be considered.

If someone pained the wall with a paintbrush and utilized an angular stroke (top left to bottom right), how would the sensor know it was moving on a flat (180 degree) surface? The pixels on the wall will make the sensor believe it is moving on an angle?

Maybe, but the speed and direction of movement pixels will be monitored (not color, changes color and light intensity) which is constant regardless of the condition of the wall. It also depends on the quality programming of the camera reading .

Hopefully you can get a proof of concept running, it will be interesting to see.

1 Like

Only if one knows what is professionally called such a system and monitoring procedure, cameras are widely used in various measurements and monitoring, but specifically this how to called expertly ? What exactly to type in search ? Using a camera is a pretty broad term.

1 Like

One last thought, I wonder if you can use a tilt sensor to account for the incline/decline? You can accompany that with a wheel encoder which will allow you to calculate distance of the gradient.

https://www.te.com/usa-en/plp/tilt-sensors-inclinometers/YG2d3.html

There’s good information on this page for calculations (in links), not just the calculator:

???

What does that calculator actually do ?

It will help you with the math to figure out the gradient based on the distance that the robot travels assuming that you use a tilt sensor and wheel encoders.

No matter which route you choose, you have a lot of coding ahead of you.