Robot gutless and slow

Please read the Rules :slight_smile:

Please read the Rules :slight_smile:

considering the fact that
considering the fact that you didnt say what i did wrong frits, i will assume it was the ā€˜helpā€™ in the subject line. I have removed this.

Yes, youā€™re right about the

Yes, youā€™re right about the stanceā€¦ Mea culpa, I was thinking actually about the length of the trackā€¦ Oh well, seems like I should refrain to post when Iā€™m tiredā€¦ Thanks for correcting me.

**i had the smae prob **

i just built my first robot , and had a similar problem are you supliying the motor driver chip with some unreagulated voltage? heres a picture of my setup (i pulled out the motors and inputs so you could see) .

S5000658.jpg

the battery is conected negative to the ground on the bread board and postive to the pin that supports unreagulated voltage (check the manual for your chip )

then from the arduino 5v to the positive on the bread board and gnd to gnd on the bread board . i to powered my arduino with 9v . hope it helps if not sorry (oh and my battery pack has 3 aa's but 4 would be better .

Ok, so i did some rewiring

Ok, so i did some rewiring and used fully charged nimh rechargeable AAā€™s and he runs just fine going straight and reverseā€¦ He still grinds to a stop and goes nowhere while turningā€¦ At this point, im so frustrated, im about to put the whole thing on a shelf for a few monthsā€¦ which i really dont want to do. What would cause him to gind to a halt so hard when trying to turn? My first thought was that I had locked up all the axlesā€¦ but i didnt. i made sure one side is turning freely so that when the motor turns the track in one direction, and the other in the opposite direction, everything moves freely. he is pretty much doing the same thing as he was in my videoā€¦

Ā 

I gotta say thoughā€¦ he has some serious power in straight and reverse now though! I feel so close to completing this portion of the buildā€¦ last thing to figure out. Please keep going with the ideas!

A bit of a puzzle, slowing
A bit of a puzzle, slowing so much. What Iā€™d try is running the robot on a smooth surface, like tile or a table top. If the same slowing occurs in turns, then there would appear to be a problem with the circuit somewhere, If not, then this robot should not be run on carpet, the tracks simply canā€™t overcome it. Somewhat sad, a tracked vehicle that can only run on smooth surfaces though.

Pop both motors out of the
Pop both motors out of the back of the gearbox and check the tracks will definitely move freely in opposite directions spun by hand.

ezekiel, they move

ezekiel, they move freely.

Ā 

My pololu motors came today (gawd they came fast!) and after hooking them up, the bot moves, but very slowlyā€¦ there seems to be more turning happening, but only a faction better. I think now that I have motors that can handle up to 12v, its time to get some higher voltage in play. I have a 7.2v battery pack laying here, but I have no way of charging it. Iā€™m sure that if i can get this pack charged and try it, it will solve all my problems.

Ā 

Does anyone know a DIY solution to charge a standard 7.2 NIMH pack? Its all green shrinkwrapped. the kind of thing you would see inside an rc car. In this case it came out of a portable dvd player that died on me. Iā€™d use the dvd player to charge it, but it is so far beyond toast that all it is good for is partsā€¦

help?

Quote:"My first thought was

Quote:

"My first thought was that I had locked up all the axlesā€¦ but i didnt. i made sure one side is turning freely so that when the motor turns the track in one direction, and the other in the opposite direction, everything moves freely. he is pretty much doing the same thing as he was in my videoā€¦ "

What do you mean by one side is turning freely? The little idler wheels on one side are moving freely and on the other side are locked to the axles? They should move freely on both sides. Otherwise, the side that tries to turn the axles has to overcome more friction and stops and only the other side is turning. Make sure that only the sprocketed wheels are locked to the axles that come out from the gear box and inside the gearbox the 2 output axles do not touch each other! Try to spin the motors forward and hold one axle and see if the other slows down too. If it does, youā€™ve got a problem there.

That was worded incorrectly.
That was worded incorrectly. Everything turns freely. Before i changed out the motors, he was running like a champ. Turning was near impossible. now with the new motors and lack of voltage, he cant turn and is slow again, so i need to up the voltage one more time. as soon as i do that, I will see if his turning has improved. I dont think it will have. I will try to take out as much friction as possible as well and see what happens.