Robot Arm Torque Calculator

So, the A1 and even the M1 should be force?

@Jose Carlos In the dynamic tool, M and A are in Kilograms.

T1=L1A1(gravity)+1/2L1M1*(gravity)?

as @jose carlos asked, should we use mass in kg (weight/gravity) or just the weight for A and M?

@Jose Carlos Take a look at the corresponding tutorial: https://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/robot-arm-torque-tutorial-7152

@Matteo It depends on what you are looking to find. Torque is often provided in Kg-cm, so you would need the mass as opposed to the force.

What if one of the joints rotates in a different axis, not like others ? or a joint is positioned in another side of a link ?

@djouher The calculations here are for the most common case, in a worst case scenario. Take a look at the rationale behind the equations in the tutorial for ideas.

Hello ,
Coleman Benson, would you please give me your contact details , i have some doubts and need your valuable suggestions on it , my mail id is ([email protected])

@Moien Siddique Unfortunately we do not give out our contact details directly, but you can create a new topic on the RobotShop Forum and we’d be happy to reply there.

hello,
how to calculate the link length of any 5 DOF robotic arm given we have the known operation area (work envelope)?

@vishal It’s really up to you to determine where you want to place each joint, and if you want the arm to be horizontal at maximum reach.

Hello, I noticed that calculating manually and by calculator tool the results are not the same except for T1. The other results given by the calculator should be greater by 10x. Or am I doing something wrong?

@Mateo Are you using the right units? You can see the equations used here: https://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/robot-arm-torque-tutorial-7152

i want a perfect website to buy a robotic ARM chasis (arm chasis only)
if any one know, mention me and add a link zzzzzzzzz.

@hars We sell the AL5 series as hardware only, but they really need specific Hitec servos at each joint: https://www.robotshop.com/en/robotic-arms.html?general_brand=Lynxmotion

Hello,

I like this calculator you provided us with, but If you could just clarify one thing for me. Is this “worst case” scenario calculation including moment of inertia? To put it in another words, If I do correct calculation using your calculator and get required stall torque for my servo to support robot arm, will that assure stable operation of my robotic arm while moving load I predicted in my calculations(of course, considering that I provided sufficient power supply)?

Thank you.

@Savo Ristic No, the equations do not include moment of inertia, so you are indeed correct, there is even a worse case where the arm needs to prevent a downward acceleration. The work around would be to increase the payload at the end.

How can you determine the max load the arm can lift? For example, the OWI 535 robotics Arm specification says 100 grams. The training cd that came with the robot suggested doing experiements to determine the max load. You can do experiments by adding weight to the arm until it gives you the audible clicking sound. How do you determine it through calculations. The motors Stall Torgue is 60 gram-cm.

@Clarence Perdue You need to understand the concept of torque, know the weight of each joint and then calculate. Note too that the load will vary if the arm is not perfectly horizontal.