Powering an Arduino NanoATMega328

Hi;

I have just put together and ordered some parts to build a value for money robot that I will be demonstrating and getting the kids in my school robot club to build.

This is the chassis and this is the Nano (Are these copies?)

As I have never built a robot based on this type of Microprocessor I had a bit of a guess on power supply parts. The chassis comes with a 4 x AA battery holder to power the motors but I also ordered and was intending to use a PP3 9v battery to power the Nano by supplying 9v unregulated to pin 30? 

Can anyone advise whether this is OK or should I power the Nano with the 4 x AA?

Thanks

Whether you can power the nano with 9v

really depends on the nano. You should look at the specs of the board. You should see a spec that tells you the range of input voltage.

4AA nimh is enough for

4AA nimh is enough for motors and the board, if gets heavy 6AA nimh. Get a l298 driver board and you are ready to go. You can probably save some £ by searching a bit more on banggood.

To power arduino you can put a regulator to the battery and feed it from usb, get 6AA and feed it directly from the battery, use a usb battery for cellphones. Alcalines go flat if you ask them too much current.

My first robot was based on that kit, and you can improve performance of the motors by soldering the wires to the motor ends. Batteries fixed under the board and arduino above, with a breadboard sticked on the chassis:)

Ref the Motor Driver see my

Ref the Motor Driver see my parts list below. 

But in answer to the question, I can power the Nano from a PP3 unregulated and leave the 4 x AA to power the Motors?

I will be building aprox 10 of these with kids in a robot club so as a starter anything more expensive like nimh is going to put it over budget?

Parts list:

Chassis - here

Nano ATMega328 Microcontroller - here 

L298N Motor Driver - here

Ultrasonic Detector - here

Breadboard and Male Connectors - here

PP3 Battery Holder to supply power to the ATMega328 which, according to what I have read here, accepts unregulated power on pin 30? 

And I also bought some Male to Female connectors for good measure.

it a clone

That looks like a clone running on the ch340g chip. I’ve got one (well 3) of them, and they work perfectally well, but you’ll need the drivers (here).

also be warned, sometimes they come without a bootloader, so you may need a programer (arduino as isp if you have another arduino) to sort that. but its not a big issue, and once thats sorted, youre away :slight_smile: