Onboard PC based Johnny 5

I solved my robotics budget problems by incorporating my company (HUV), and doing some robotics consulting work on the side (5-10 hours per week). The money from that work finances a lot of robotics R&D, and the best part of it is I don’t have to pay taxes on it, since HUV is legitimately a robotics R&D company. HUV either pays for the parts as part of R&D, or it sponsors the costs of the parts for hobby-type robots (advertising).

The money is in a separate business account, so it never mixes with the household budget.

• Jon

Should have my Pico-ITX cpu/board here by the end of this week. UPS needs to move faster ;p

I’ll also try to get some video up on youtube of this sucker in action

Also:

I bribed Jim and Beth and got this project hosted on the Project section on the main page… however I added a short little tutorial on the R/C shock lower torso mod along with some links to what I used for parts to do it.

lynxmotion.com/images/html/proj096.htm

Great job!

The shock mod still intrigues me to this day. It was a brilliant idea!

Received the pico-itx cpu/board just now, I’ll try to get some pics of it up tonight.

what are you planning to use for a disk storage? do you have a solid state disk module or :question:

Either one of these: memory.com/item.asp?item=TS2GDOM44H

Or… I might go with an IDE to Compact Flash adapter and pop in a 4 gig CF card. Wouldnt be as fast as my 1st option, but I’d get double the size for about half the price.

I have not had any success getting my mini-ITX board to boot XP from a CF card. If you know how to pull this off I am all ears. :smiley:

What sort of interface are you using for the CF card?

I would be using one of these if I go that route: e-itx.com/bootable-ide-cf-re … ide-u.html

Dunno if it helps, never tried it myself… but anyway, here’s a link which links to XPLite.

You’ve probably already seen this, but ah well :slight_smile:

Hmm, I do not have the specific CF-to-IDE adapter that Ty linked but I have something similar. I am not sure of anything on the adapter that would affect boot though. I also already have XP Lite and a HDD image but do not have partition magic. I’ll grab a copy this weekend and give the process in your link a try ScuD. Thanks.

My plan was to build a stripped down version of XP on a spare laptop harddrive, then resize the partition down to the size of my solid state device, then use Ghost to move it over. I’ve seen similar things done before, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Eddie- is your problem that the CF device isnt being recognized as an IDE drive? Or once you have an OS on it its not being shown as a bootable disk?

no it works as a disk just fine, but I can’t get the OS to actually use it as a boot device. I went so far as to do an install of XP onto the 4GB CF card (took like 5 hours) and it would not boot when it told me to re-start.

Maybe it’s particular to my CF card… it’s kingston technology though, not exactly an out of the back of a truck fresh from the docks card. :frowning:

Eddie,

Have you tired using the ashes of a lamb spinkled over your yard, on a rainy day, with your underware over your head, running in figure eights, shouting “Boola Boola Boola!” ?

Prehaps this will cause the CF card to boot. :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

two sixes from my perspective really… if I spent much more time fighting with getting it working as it was I would wind up in the same nut house the neighbors would have the cops send me after the little show you suggest.
let’s not thread hijack too badly here, eh?

Tyberius - assuming you can get the CF card to boot, would you mind posting some details about how…? If it works well, I might just do that for my long-neglected SNESpc project. :smiley:

Or I might snag one of those IDE Flash modules from that other link you posted. :wink:

[size=75](Once I get back to working on it, anyway. Too busy right now to mess with it! D: )[/size]

I love the shock mod too. So much we are getting these to sell on the website. They are made by Traxxas. I just got the samples yesterday. I assembled them last night and am very impressed. Thanks for the inspiration Tyberius. :smiley:

Very nice Jim, I’m flattered.

Are you looking at putting together an upgrade kit? Or just selling the components? Id imagine you could find a better solution for mounting the rear shock then I did, I don’t have machining equipment at my disposal, so I’m sure you could replicate what I did with the Traxxis steering blocks quite easily.

Also: did you just assemble the shocks or have you mounted them on a Johnny 5 already? I’d love to see some pics of how you’re going about doing it.

I didn’t have one of my Johnny 5’s at home when I built the shocks. I need to study it a bit before I make a final decision. I would like to create an option kit. Will see if I can pull it off. :wink:

Sounds good, check your PMs :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the drawing! It’s pretty much what I was thinking. 8)