NewBOT

Triangles

I’ve seen this design used many times. I think even “Jonny 5” in the movie “Short Circuit” had it.

Can anyone tell me the purpose? I would have thought that a more useful arrangement would have been to have the tracks angled up at the front and back (like a tank) rather than angled down at the front and back.

Anyone?

Green

What’s that bottle of green stuff in the background?

Clearance Clarence

That;s the only reason I could see, is to get the motor up on the higher sprocket, to allow a little more open space. Which isn’t being done on this robot since the motor drives the back track.

I like the look of tracks arranged this way, but you’re right, it would be more effective to have at least front and maybe back upward slants.

Soylent Green is people!
Sorry, flashback. I think he said it was PC coolant, for one of those fancy overclocked jobs.

This also keeps the upper
This also keeps the upper sprocket from getting dirty or affected by dirt and debries that might otherwise affect it if it were one of the lower ones. The front and rear slants would be useful for outdoors or rough terrain, but indoors, this would seem ideal.

clearance
It is actaully being driven from the top sprocket. Its only driven from the back in that first test video. See the 19-Sept update in responce to voodoobots earlier comment on this.

Oops, had not noted the pic, only seen the vid
My bad, missed the pic for the video. Well, cool, so you do have that clearance thing going on. Have you tried it over bumpy terrain (socks, toys, clutter)?

Treads

I like this robot! Where did you buy those treads and their wheels?