New Project - Hardware / Design

great advice - thx!

my rover parts are expected to be delivered today! - I cleaned my home “lab” in anticipation - kind of like an empty operating room gleefully waiting for my new patient! muuhhaaahhahaaha.

so I can’t find my old wrist ESD from days of old, I could just tie some copper wire to my ______ , right? and ground it through my power supply… I’d hate to frye any of these components, especially the organic ones :smiley:

Also I found some killer Zigbee rs-232 to radio… gridconnect.com/gc-wlm-xbp24-pkc-001-ra.html

power draw is 300 mA - 5 v supply.

Also a question about servos - is power drawn to hold a servo position in one place ? or does the servo have some sort of gear locking cam inside it? I am trying to guage how much draw the bot will have if its driving around waving its arm.

I have also deciced to name the robot “PROTEUS-RV1” - mainly cause it freaks my wife out! :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

About the osillyscope, again it’s years since I touched one - I wanted one then but I can;t recall why I wanted one, can someone give me an example on my project why I might need one?

Where/when might I need to look at waveforms? (excuse my ignorance - its been a while since I have visited the dark side)

Neil

Hi Neil,
Um… That’s he worst thing to do. An ESD wrist band is a direct connection to your skin, but the cable is like in the order of megaohms! It is meant to safely absorb the charge. By connecting a part of your body to earth ground in a low humidity environment, not that you said you are in one, is the best way to zap something. :stuck_out_tongue: The reasoning behind this is say your ankle is grounded, but your parts are not. Any static build up from your clothing or whatever will be passed on to the ungrounded part as you go to pick it up.

whew - good thing I didn’t try to make one.

I am off to the city to get one right now!

Neil

Hi Jim,
I must disagree with you here.

Two points:

1. Grounding yourself with a plain wire is a good thing for ESD purposes, but the reason not to do it is safety. If your body is connected to ground through a low-resistance path, and you touch something of a moderately high voltage, you could electrocute yourself. Instead of feeling just a ‘tingle’ when you touch the AC line, you could feel your heart stop… The purpose of the resistance that is built-in to an ESD strap is limit any current flow to a low enough value to be safe, but it is still a relatively low resistance path w.r.t. the static charges.

2. The second part of what you said is the opposite. You risk damaging components the most by not grounding your body, and then touching the HW. The static charge is mostly being developed on your body/clothing. The parts sitting on the bench typically have little or no static charge on them. When you touch them, your body’s charge tends to move to whatever you touched. That ‘movement’ of the charge is what causes damage.
    The situation becomes worse if (for example) you have a good charge on your body, and your equipment includes wiring that (for example) goes to a power supply which is connected to an AC plug. Now your equipment is effectively grounded, so touching it causes a major static discharge.

Pete

Ok, no problem. I don’t want to hijack this post and turn it into an ESD one. I admit I’m not an expert on the subject, so suffice it to say, it’s a bad idea. We both agree on that anyway. I officially withdraw any technical rational on the subject. :wink:

All of what Jim said is true.

I had to go through ESD training every year for years. It’s not the ESD charges that cause the dammage, it the sudden discharge of it. If a 1meg Ohm resistor is used, it slows the static discharge to safe leves for both the person and device.

I did not mean to continue with any hijacking but this is important I think to insert in this thread while it’s brought up.

oK we all agree that working in the buff is whats required - watch out for hot solder!!!

WOW Nick all that great comment and not a single disparaging comment about Americans. I truly believe the world must be coming to an end.