New custom hexapod - Kodama!

Look cool…! :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it should be closed until you press start

Omg, I just tried starting it with initial positions of zero, and its legs flew straight out and knocked a coffee cup on the white carpet of the apartment we’re staying in! Oofda…

I would probably try experimenting with the initial position. What I typically did was to fold it up and then measure out to see how tight it can be and then add some to it, try it, add more, try it… Then wait for Zenta to fix it for me :laughing:

I did a quick and dirty merge of data from the T-Hex to a Phoenix set of values, plus I believe the Phoenix uses different SSC-32 pin ordering than the Phoenix did… I uploaded a Zip file with the updated stuff. Again could not try it out as Don’t have that configuration.
Phoenix_PS2_SSC32-121123a.zip (3.29 KB)

So, here’s what I’m stuck at… The Phoenix code seemed to cause nothing but a supernatural twitching, although I suspect that might be due to a struggling battery. Recharging and posting more soon.

Kurt, if I wanted to leave the femur position at it’s default position in the SSC eeprom, what value would I use in the hex cfg?

I would play around some with these lines…

#define cHexInitXZ 105 #define CHexInitXZCos60 53 // COS(60) = .5 #define CHexInitXZSin60 91 // sin(60) = .866 #define CHexInitY 25

For example Try changing the y from 25 to maybe 50 and see what it does. Try changing the 105 to 120 and the 53 and 91 to the appropriate values (60, 104) and see if that helps…

Kurt

Thanks Kurt! I really appreciate your help. Could you give me a clue as to what these values mean?
I’m not understanding how they relate to leg positioning.

It is the initial position measured in tenths of mm. I always have to review where I am measuring from, but I measure the middle legs usually from center to the closest in position the robot legs would be where the legs can hit the ground and then add a little. The y is I believe the delta from center of joint to the bottom of robot…

Kurt

I have attached my measurements, if anyone is willing to give me a hand. The shifting modes seem to work ok, but you were right Zenta, the servos are way too weak to actually walk.
Do you think I could get away with only replacing only the vertical hips? I am really trying to save on cost on this project! :slight_smile:
Hex_Cfg.h (11.6 KB)

Thanks for the explanation Kurt! :slight_smile:
What’s the significance of using Sin 45 and Cos 45 vs 60 and 60?

On some robots like t-hex the legs are at 45 degrees on others like Phoenix they are at 60 degrees. Variable names were changed to remember which configuration…

Kurt

Ah I see, this is the angle from the body.
Thanks again Kurt, I appreciate all your help with this project.

Another question, do you think it would be effective to replace the vertical hip servos with HS-645mgs?
My wife would never spring for me buying 18 of them (at least not at once). It seems like these 6 are the most load bearing.

It is a sad day for Kodama. I think I may have fried my SSC-32, I tried plugging in a wall 9V DC power adapter since it was burning through 9V batteries every 10 mins, but I suspect it sent a blast of too much voltage. The green light won’t turn on now whatsoever, even plugged into the original wimpy 9V battery. Random servo rotations spring on and Kodama dies like a poisoned cockroach.

Any way to test if the board is well and truly borked?

Did you remove the VL=VS jumper? A picture of how you wired and connected the SSC-32 would be usefull.

Yep, the VL-VS1 jumper is off. The baud rate is set to 9600. That’s all for the jumpers. The VS1 is wired out to a 6V 3300mA battery, and the VL is wired to 9V. Everything was working perfectly until yesterday when I tried to plug in a 9V DC power adapter in place of the battery. Kodama went crazy, and when I tested the adapter it was actually sending out closer to 18V (piece of junk).

If necessary I can get a picture, but it’ll require quite a lot of work disassembling the bot, so I’m just a bit reluctant :slight_smile:

Are you sure it was 9vdc… not 9vac…?
I made a similar error in the past (not with ssc32)

Nah, it was definitely 9V DC, but actually more like 18V… Do you know if this is enough to fry the ssc32?

From the SSC32 manual

This is the Logic Voltage, or VL. This input is normally used with a 9vdc battery connector to provide power to the ICs and anything connected to the 5vdc lines on the board. The valid range for this terminal is 6vdc - 9vdc. This input is used to isolate the logic from the Servo Power Input. It is necessary to remove the VS1=VL jumper when powering the servos separately from the logic VL. The SSC-32 should draw 35mA with nothing connected to the 5vdc output.