My Sabertooth 2x60 locks up when steering

Hi djkpap, please could you post your eeprom setup?
I had the same problem with 2x32…

I’m also having same issue with Sabertooth locking up, any chance you can upload settings djkpap?

1 Like

Steps I took to fix the issue:

Purchase a serial TTL to usb then hook up the ground, 5v to the Sabertooth 2x60 then hookup the TXD to S1 and RXD to S2 on the Sabertooth.

Install DEScribe software from deminsion engineering site. I also had to find a driver and install it (search google for driver)

Make sure Sabertooth dip switches are set to 1 and 2 off as you will be unable to connect to pc without 2 being off. Once DEScribe is running the only thing I changed was the “Ramp Time” to around 2 seconds (mine is set to 2.097s). Then click upload settings to device and once finished disconnect the usb serial TTL from the Sabertooth and reinstall your rc receiver wires and make sure to put the dip switch for 2 back up and test. Main power on Sabertooth was off while using DEScribe software, the usb serial TTL has power going to the Sabertooth when hooked up.

My dip switches are set to 1 and 5 off and the others on. I have 4 wheelchair motors on a push mower and it is now working perfectly without shutting down anymore.

3 Likes

Thank you for this detailed explanation @Aoe2king1 :slight_smile:

I see the last post as May '21. Has anyone found a cure for this problem? I have the same issues when letting the joystick “fly” back to center. If I carefully operate the controls, no issues. When the motors are suddenly stopped, the controller goes crazy. Often just operating erratically, one side going in reverse or one side taking off for a few seconds then stopping. Very dangerous.

I do not see this as a problem of the receiver, nor receiver power but more of an issue with EMF from the motors when they are abruptly halted. I get an error LED light at each abrupt stop and sometimes a constant error LED light after an abrupt stop. Often I then have an uncontrollable operation with either no control or motors taking off on their own. I cannot allow the grandchildren around this robot as it is unpredictable and quite unsafe.

@dmartnevada,

I think you are right that EMF causes this eratic behaviour.
But until now I never was able to solve this problem.

My transmitter and receiver works without any problems on other aplications.
But even then, I tried with other receiver transmitter combo on the controller, same problem unfortunately.

Hallo allemaal ook ik zelfde probleem Rustig besturen gaat prima maar daarna slaat hij op holl ik ga proberen externe 5v en aansluiten op de pc maar wat een vervelend iets zeg

Hello everyone connected to the PC settings now change back build I will keep you posted

Hi Passie,

Ben benieuwd of dit iets helpt, ik zoek al lang naar een oplossing voor het zelfde probleem.

Hallo allemaal aangesloten op de pc instellingen verander nu nog terug bouwen ik houd jullie op de hoogte

I had the same issue of driver locking up when joy stick auto center.
So I changes the ramp time 1.5sec using DEscribe software tool & all the issues are gone now.
Additionally I set the deadband to 1%.

So just follow what [Aoe2king1] said above.
Thanks all.

1 Like