Military Armed Reconaissance Combat (MARC) ROBOT

That sounds like a good idea, but I dont think I would be able to braze two peices of the metal together. Im not sure A gas torche has enough heat to bond the two pieces togther. Im going to research more on this.

Brazing does not melt the parent metal, it uses a softer material like a brass of bronze rod to “glue” them together. Most people braze with an Oxy Acetliene torch(expensive!) or a TIG arc welder(crazy expensive!).

The MAPP gas torches will have just enough heat to braze, a better choice is a MAPP and O2 torch. These are capable of cutting and welding sheet. They cost about $70 at hame depot here in canada. The only thing is the gas, the O2 is $10 a bottle and will only last for about 10 mins of work. In my experiance(I own one) with these torches they are next to useless. It would cost somewhere around $200 to braze a whole robot with these torches. You also need gas welding goggles.

You can’t braze aluminum, so this probably won’t work for you. To weld aluminum you need extreme skill with an oxy acetiliene torch or high skill with a TIG torch.

In short, not a good idea.

The O2/mapp torches are very expensive and don’t have enough heat to do anything large. If you are going to work with steel, the below mig unit might be useful for robotic sized projects, as it runs off of 120v ac and is often on sale at a cheaper price.

harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d … mber=94056

Perhaps you might actually look at the muggyweld link provided. :wink:

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

They are extremly expensive. It would cost $50 in rods for one project. And they are not that strong. Sure there good on pure Al but on any alloy the strength is lower than the parent metal.

Go with bolts.

Lets see, if I were to pick a subject matter expert on brazing, would it be spacejunk or would it be muggyweld? Hmmm… :wink:
Granted muggyweld has something to sell, but unless you have tried their product, I’m not sure you are in an authoritive position to say it won’t work.

I spent 3 1/2 hours with the aluminum and figured out, its not going to work! :angry: I realized none of the sides add up becuase Im cutting them all crooked and I dont have the proper equipment. I need to come up with another strong but easy to use with common shop tools kinda material to make armour and the chassis out of :confused:

At the bottom of the below thread I suggested the person build a mockup from wood first. It is good advice if you can’t afford to make scrap out of expensive materials during the development stage. Wood is easily worked and assembled with fairly inexpensive tools and materials. As for armor, real military weapons like the M-16 or the AK-47 will easily shoot thru .25" steel like it is butter.

lynxmotion.net/phpbb/viewtop … 1&start=15

hey that MY thread :laughing:

anyway, zoomkat, i dont think its as much as a problem as needing a wood mockup, its the fact that the tools are not available to build it properly

italianguy, if u want, and u have confidence in my machinning skills, i could make the parts for you, if u can provide the material and shipping, i would be more than happy to help you out with it :slight_smile:, PM me with an answer

I have used it!

Well the good news is, I wont be needing it becuase im not going with metal plates anymore!. ive decided to stick with plain, easy to use, strong, fireproof lexan plastic. Ive also decided to redesign my chassis. Stay tuned, new design will be uploaded shortly.

My Robots design has been changed slightly since the older version’s design involved alot of acurracy. Im wondering if I can use this to be curved around the front like the 4WD robots have.

If this is possible, Id be able to continue to use the Metal sheet sides I already cut out.

Unfortunately, the black sheets never seem to be in stock and I cant find this material anywhere else. If this is not a stocked part for lynxmotion anymore, I think some thick rubber would work as well.

I assume “it” is Super Alloy 1, Super Alloy 5, or SSF-6 Silver Solder, or are we just hearing some “fluff talk”?

Not the same company but the same idea. The aluminum bonds are not very strong unless the metal is freshly cleaned and has not built up an oxide layer. It is only as strong as pure aluminum. And anything thicker than pop can material draws heat away so a propane torch will not work.

Ok, so we have fluff talk. Kind of like saying a $125 servo won’t work because you had bad luck with an $8 servo. I think all my references have been to mapp gas and not propane. The videos pretty clearly state the type of torch needed depends on size and, type of material being brazed, and the temperature required for the particular brazing rod. I agree the aluminum rods that one can get like below would probably get poor results, but you may be comparing apples and oranges.

harborfreightusa.com/usa/ite … egoryName=

Never mind.

Here is the latest design (V2) of the MARC Robot.
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m51/Italian_guy299/MARCRobotV2.jpg
The second image illustrates how a gun may be mounted to the pan and tilt.
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m51/Italian_guy299/MARCRobotV2wGun.jpg
These mock-ups do not show any IR LED or LED light systems yet, becuase they are still being designed. I can tell you however that there may be IR and 2X White LED lighting systems (one Potlight and one Fog light). This will be uploaded later ofcourse. No real images yet since I have gone nowhere physically with this project (unless you want to see a workshop full of scap metal I can’t use :laughing:

As always I need feedback (feedback on my topic of course you thread-jackers :stuck_out_tongue: )…Yes, I know your out there :smiling_imp:

Sorry. :blush:

lol np 8)

Do you have a table saw or one that you can use?

Im have a mitre chop saw, jigsaw, drill press, a workshop full of tools, vices, desk grinders, angle grinders ect.