MDi #3

Re:

@ unix_guru: LOL I’m glad to read your words!

@ Bajdi: Wowwww! Prettiest robot on LMR? I’m really very flattered! Thank you very much!

@ TinHead: Planning deserves much attention. And, actually, it took me about two months till I get all parts designed and the templates done. Plus about five months of handicraft. But the end result is very satisfactory!

Well, thanks for getting

Well, thanks for getting inspired, this tells me that my time is well spend :slight_smile:

This picture shows even better the texture of your coating. That’s because you used a very thick layer. Great job!

Absolutely fantastic

Bit of a late, ‘me too’ email, but I just wanted to add my admiration. :slight_smile: This is a really nice looking, well built robot and I’m really impressed with the quality of the parts you’ve built using polystyrene sheets.

Looking forward to seeing what you do next. :slight_smile:

Re:

@ abroun: Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

@ PowerMetalBlader: (PT) Muito obrigado! (Thank you very much!)

Man this robot is really

Man this robot is really awesome! Keep up the good work! This is exactly what i was envisioning for one of my projects. I will be following this closely for sure!

arduino sketch
you could publish the Arduino sketch and layout of cable connections and plates? Loved your MDi # 3!

arduino sketch

you could publish the Arduino sketch and layout of cable connections and plates? Loved your MDi # 3!

Thank you very much! All the

Thank you very much! All the template files are shared in a link above. If you have interest in replicate some parts, feel free to use the files.

The code of the remote

The code of the remote controlled routine is shared now. Take a look at the attached files.

electric diagram
when you will post the complete electric diagram? wanted more details of the connections of the servo and plates.

Sorry, but I don’t have an

Sorry, but I don’t have an electrical diagram. Actually it’s not needed, since the connections are very simple. It’s just like I’ve already mentioned on the “Power supplies” section of this project page: 6V for the servos (two sets of 2500 mAh in parallel, so 5000 mAh) and 11.1V for the DC motors (actually three LiPo batteries in series). From the L298N comes out 5V for the Arduino. The GND of each component must be connected with the others, in order to make a common GND.

EDIT: The L298N breakout that I’m using have a built-in circuit to provide 5V for external use.

My personal favorite…

This is my personal favorite…from a design and aesthetics standpoint especially.  I thought your redesign of the layout of the treads over the johnny 5 or walle layout was clever to keep the treads from being too tall, keep ground clearance on the motors, and have a large enough track base to keep the bot stable.  I am amazed at how compact and light you were able to keep everything.

I have been trying to come up with a similar design that crams a lot more sensors and electronics onboard, notably a large sonar array (12) and android phone on face…basically a SuperDroidBot with arms, or a MDi3/SuperDroidBot mashup.  I don’t know if its possible to have good looks and a lot of sensors/internal space…Walle is the only design that comes to mind, and its design is not ideal for using the arms or sonar either.  It’s hard to go big without looking clunky.

Is there an MDi 4 in the design phases right now?  If so, what new design constraints are you considering?  Do you have any thoughts on how best to incorporate obstacle avoidance into this type of robot?  Have you considered sharing your sketches for robot designs you didn’t end up using?  I personally think a lot of people would be interested.

Regards,

Martin

Thanks, man!I’m always

Thanks, man!

I’m always making sketches of what comes to my mind, so, I have some plans for MDi #4, and as I’ve ended giving up some features of MDi #3 (for lack of space and hardware), the list of plans is reasonably big. So, it must be bigger! And I’m thinking about an on-board computer.

Currently I’m working on the autonomous routine of MDi #3 (with obstacle avoidance), and, well, let’s see what happens.

About the sketches… Well, maybe I can create a blog to share some drawings… I think “Mechanical thoughts” would be a good name for this.

BTW, Super Droid Bot is impressive!

See you!

Thanks.

Good luck with the programming.  I went the MIBE architecture route for the autonomous behavior…happy so far but didn’t do a whole lot with it because I got buried in building a web service robot brain for about a year.  I am trying to get back to designing and building something physical again.

I really do hope you get a chance to blog those drawings.  I’ve toyed with the idea of publishing a website (Better if LMR could do it.) for individuals or teams to collaborate on robots from earliest concept all the way to completion and beyond in a space where everyone can see it.  I think we could all learn a lot from watching each other’s ideas and designs develop over time.  

Thanks for the kind words on my bot.  Cheers.

MIBE architecture is very

MIBE architecture is very interesting. I have to try to implement some algorithms based on it in my projects. Thanks for the tip!

Just a short update to post

Just a short update to post the pictures taken this weekend. Take a look at the “Additional info (& pictures)” section to see them.

Thank you for sharing!
This robot just blows me away. It proves that engineering and art aren’t that far apart. Just your painting technique alone has taught me a great deal that will be used in Groucho.

Can you please help me with something? I’ve always thought of polystyrene as a weak plastic, but I’m obviously mistaken. Could you tell me the brand of polystyrene sheets you’re using so I can find some?

You are inspiring me to get moving on building my bots!

Thank you very much, Dickel.

Thank you very much for your

Thank you very much for your kind words!

Polystyrene is pretty good. I use 2mm sheets. Combining multiple layers (or with a thicker sheet) is possible to make strong parts.

This (http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-570382645-chapa-de-poliestireno-psai-branco-2mmx1000x2000mm-_JM) is the polystyrene sheet that I’ve bought and it’s not a branded one. The seller is from Brazil, and I think he don’t ship worldwide.

But on eBay you can buy Plastruct. I think it’s the same material (at least it’s described as polystyrene). Or search for “high impact polystyrene” (I’ve found this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Plasticard-Sheet-High-Impact-Polystyrene-HIPS-A5-A3-Thickness-1-2-3mm-/221464141498?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item33904a9eba).

I’ve tried Googling this,
I’ve tried Googling this, but I can’t seem to find it.

Could one of you point me to a site or book on MIBE?

Thanks much.

@Dickel: I was looking for the wrong trope of polystyrene. It’s available here as foam-board, which isn’t very strong. Thanks much!

Thanks!
I just ordered some from Amazon. I really like your way of using plastic like this.

I’m still getting a 3d printer, but your way may make stronger parts for when strength is needed. I’ll have to test. Eventually!