Lynxmotion SES V2 Hexapod Robot

I did read it again (partially my bad English) and did the calibration.

• Put the robot (un powered) in a position where all servos are at the Zero position
  • Power and connect to (Putty in my case) serial
  • Go in Offset Manual “OM”
  • Confirm each servos with a “*” but they were at the right position
  • Exit “$” and save

I now try the PS4 and when i press buttons i loose the serial interface. (Close COM port)
What do i “can” and “cannot” try exactly from HERE.

EDIT: Here is what’s happening, it kind of freeze the Teensy i think because i need to power cycle to get it back on track.

Actually it may not be really frozen per se, but really just that the putty buffer is being overwhelmed with data. I have that problem with Ser Mon as well when I try to send data continuously in a loop like you are doing when you dump the joystick data.

The only app that really seems to work without issue with keeping up with the data spew is TyCommander, Koromix/tytools: Collection of tools to manage Teensy boards (github.com), if you download the release file it has the .exe’s so you don’t have to compile. When you have a Teensy hooked up and you open TyCommander it will look like this:
Capture
Then when you click on Serial

If you want to watch the joystick data for a while would recommend you use that - otherwise Putty or the SerialMonitor works fine.

EDIT: Or just don’t do a ‘J’ to dump the PS4 data. You will get messages when you hit the buttons on the PS4 in the SerMon or Putty with worrying about the actual joystick data.

1 Like

I’ll try this interface, i’ve seen it in the thread but didn’t remember.

What do i “can” and “cannot” try exactly from HERE.

As long as you have the PS4 working you can try everything on the list. Oh if you have a problem with bluetooth you will probably have to uncomment this line in hex_cfg.h
//#define BLUETOOTH

I’m asking cause it was not working, probably because i was not doing the right things.
Should be working without PC connected i guess, only PS4 connected with the Teensy (usbhost).

Ok confused now on why its not working. Assuming you are connected with the PS4 the one thing I keep forgetting to do is to hit the PS button to turn power on the hex. One other thing if that is not it - hook the controller up wired to the hex and then try again.

Yea I know I am responding again but I hooked up BT again just to try and lay it out.
I did verify that you will have to uncomment USE_BLUETOOTH define in the Hex_cfg.h file.

1. After it prints all the servo info you should see that a default gait is selected along with the Address of the BT dongle which says it ready for pairing
USB Joystick Init: Arduino Phoenix Monitor
D - Toggle debug on or off
J - Show Joystick data
V - Voltage
M - Toggle Motors on or off
T - Test Servos
P - Servo Positions
A - Toggle LSS speed control
L - Toggle LSS Servo Debug output
F <FPS> - Set FPS for Interpolation mode
B <FPC> - Set Filter Position Count for Interpolation mode
S - Track Servos
O[m] - Enter Servo offset mode (m - manual mode)
C - clear Servo Offsets
*** Device Bluet a5c:21e8 - connected ***
manufacturer: Broadcom Corp
product: BCM20702A0
Serial: 5CF3707752FD
BDADDR: fd:52:77:70:f3:5c
  1. After you connect you will see your connection information:
BluetoothController::find_driver  driver 20005778
    *** Claimed ***
*** BTHID Device Joystick1 0:0 - connected ***
  Serial:  
  Joystick type: 0
*** First Joystick message 0:0 ***
  product: Wireless Controller
      BlueTooth PS4
  1. Next hit the PS button on the controller and you should see (a) legs move into the default position and (b) the message on the screen:
Robot Power On.....
  1. Hit the UP arrow button on the controller to tell the crawler to go into its ready for action position with its corresponding screen comment:
Ready for Action ........
  1. Just to do a quick start you hit the CIRCLE Button once to go into auto walk mode using the default gait: “Walkmethod 1 Selected …”

2. Send the ‘A’ command to smooth the gait out.

3. Hit the CIRCLE button again to put it into manual control mode: “Walkmethod 0 Selected …”

4. Use the left joystick to move fwd, backward, left and right.

Then you should also be able to play with the other commands as well

I’m using it Wired for now as i don’t have the dongle.
Using the TyCommander now and i get the same problem, when i was testing “J” and i moved each analog axis then clicked “X” and it frooze.

However i get this (wired) at powerup:

I then tried the PS button and could hear a “click” on the robot.
It rebooted (serial terminal did just like you power up) and i clicked again then it’s stuck at “Power On…”

On the first problem with hitting ‘J’ then ‘X’ on the controller. Yep that is what should happen. You turned the dump on with the ‘J’ and then turned it off by hitting the ‘X’ button. If you hit the J key or the X button again you will turn the dump on again.

I then tried the PS button and could hear a “click” on the robot.
It rebooted (serial terminal did just like you power up) and i clicked again then it’s stuck at “Power On…”

Assuming when you say stuck it means it not accepting any other controller button presses or keyboard commands?

Also not sure why it rebooted, never had that happen with this sketch, Could be a couple of things, maybe you have a short someplace or maybe battery is low. That one has me stumped? If you have the latest Teensyduino installed (1.54) you could try adding the crash report at the beginning of the sketch after the serial.begin in setup():

if ( Serial && CrashReport ) { // Make sure Serial is alive and there is a CrashReport stored.
    Serial.print(CrashReport); // Once called any crash data is cleared
    // In this case USB Serial is used - but any Stream capable output will work : SD Card or other UART Serial
  }

it may show something. Have an idea - you are using a Teensy 4.1 - sorry have to ask.

When I have been doing that it works as shown in the previous post. I get the power on, then I can hit other keys - never had it reboot on me?

Been reading through this, and not sure what is going on…

As it is device Manager, can I assume Windows 10? Windows 7 and 8.x has more buggy USB Serial support…

One interesting thing with Teensy 4.x versus 3.x and most other Arduinos, is that the Serial will go at a much higher speed. If I have the right names, it goes at High speed (480mbs) versus Full Speed (12mbs) and earlier Teensy running at full speed could overwhelm some Serial communication programs and as you can imagine then going up to 480 can really put a strain on them… Paul had to do a lot of work to the get the Serial Monitor to work reasonably with it and that was by bypassing a lot of the code…

With the newer code, you should still be able to run with it even configured for BLUETOOTH. The code looks to see if the Bluetooth dongle object is connected or not. If not it assumes you must be wired.

Are you running with Battery or with Wall Wart? I have done most everything myself using WallWart.

Not sure yet what else to suggest

Sorry missed this question. Yes that is what you are suppose to get wired. Exactly what I see wired:

*** Device HID1 54c:5c4 - connected ***
  manufacturer: Sony Computer Entertainment
*** HID Device Joystick1 54c:5c4 - connected ***
  Joystick type: 2
*** First Joystick message 54c:5c4 ***
      BlueTooth PS4

I also get the last line so not sure why it didn’t show on your screenshot.

@cyberpalin & @kurte

Thanks for helping out, i will do some more testing later as i got my second dose of vaccine yesterday and i don’t feel right today.

@dialfonzo Hope you feel better. Also glad you are now able to get 2nd shot…

1 Like

@dialfonzo - ditto to what @kurte said about feeling better and the second shot.

1 Like

@madmax Any progress on the ROS side and motion?

@cbenson

Not really… I have been quite busy at work we have a few new chips come in so that is going on full steam… but I will get back to ROS…

Also, I want to test the BT thing with my controller and the dongle… Hopefully, it works…

@dialfonzo Did you have any luck with the BT side of things ?

LOL - I’m not even at the Bluetooth thing. Currently using the PS4 in a Wired way but i need to do some test before and keep being side-tracked on other things.

@kurte @xan @zenta @madmax @cyberpalin Another firmware update will be released in the comiong days, with some nice features. It will be under experimental since it has not been full tested. Will keep you posted.

3 Likes

@cbenson
Nice!! What is being fixed in the latest one ?

Continued work on the communication (multi command support) and baud, all to make communication faster and with fewer errors.

1 Like