Lynxmotion A-pod Buildlog / Guide

Hi, do you mean how you can get the robot to walk? The gait is based off the phoenix gait with different leg dimensions. The robot is controlled using the PS2 V3 controller which is interfacing with a BotBoarduino. If you have any older hexapod, chances are, it is using the BotBoard II which uses basic stand instead of Arduino. If you are using that old controller, you can use Zenta’s code. I’m still working on releasing my own fork that supports BotBoarduino on the Apod

Thank you for this guide, it addressed many of the errors that are in the original instructions. I am currently building an A-pod using the SSC-32U and a botboarduino. It walks OK, but when it tries to rotate, the legs overlap and collide with each other. I assume that this is a parameter in the code but I don’t see any dimensions or restrictions that can be changed. has anyone else run into this issue? I also noticed that there is no control for the mandible(head) or tail servos in the default code (build99). Is there an updated code that includes these servos or does anyone have a code they updated themselves? Or is a Basic Atom Pro required to get these servos to operate?

Thanks,
Matt

Is it possible to use other motors for the a-pod instead of using the

HS-645MG
• Speed (sec/60o): 0.20
• Torque (Kg-cm/Oz-in): 9.6/133
• Size (mm): 41 x 20 x 38
• Weight (g/oz): 55.2 /1.94
• Metal gears (Alumite)
• Dual ball-bearings

Could I use

MG995 Digital Metal Gear Servos
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][highlight=#ffffff]
][font=inherit] Power Supply: Through External Adapter.[/font]/:m]
][font=inherit]Stable and Shock Proof[/font]/:m]
][font=inherit]Connector Wire Length 300mm[/font]/:m]
][font=inherit]Operating Speed : 0.17sec / 60 degrees (4.8V no load)[/font]/:m]
][font=inherit]Operating Speed : 0.13sec / 60 degrees (6.0V no load)[/font]/:m]
][font=inherit]Stall Torque : 9 kg-cm (180.5 oz-in) at 4.8V[/font]/:m]
][font=inherit]Stall Torque : 12 kg-cm (208.3 oz-in) at 6V[/font]/:m]
][font=inherit]Operation Voltage : 4.8 - 7.2Volts[/font]/:m]
][font=inherit]Gear Type: All Metal Gears[/font]/:m]
][font=inherit]Original box: NO[/font]/:m]
][font=inherit]Color: Black[/font]/:m]
][font=inherit]Item size: 40 * 19 * 43mm[/font]/:m]
][font=inherit]Servo weight: 55g[/font]/:m]
][font=inherit]Net weight: 66g (with accessories)[/font]/:m][/highlight][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Or in fact if you can say what servo motors can use instead the[/font]HS-645MG, feel free to help. Because I do not have a gigantic budget to build a robot, and I will try to build the a-bot, exactly as the tutorials and guides show it but with other motors, this simply is an amazing robot with fluid movement and a special feature the grip and lift objects with the mandibles. Also I will modify the hexapod a bit to add FPV,

Please reply as soon as possible, as this is to be probably used for a school project.

(If you have any other ideas how to make custom hexapods and/or hexapod kits like this one or whatsoever feel free to make suggestions, I’ll appreciate it).

Thanks in advance, Volkun

There is no guarantee that the TowerPro servos will fit the bracket system. Lynxmotion brackets are made for specific models of servos and there are many dimensions and specs which need to be taken into consideration for an alternative servo to fit.

Question is if they fit, would the other parameters work? :slight_smile:

If they fit, you would need to compare the max torque output. If they offer around as much as a 645MG, then it should be safe.

After doing continued research I find out the motors HS-645MG compensate for their price and thats what I’ll be aiming for.

From what I’ve seen around, the code that is available for this robot only comprehends its body and legs, both head and tail code are not available (correct me if I’m wrong);

Recommended Eletronics and Hardware are the following: (once again correct me if I’m forgetting anything);

• A-pod Hardware Kit;
  • 25x HS-645MG;
  • BotBoarduino;
  • SSC-32 Servo Controller;
  • Batteries: 6.0 Volt Ni-MH 1600mAh/2800mAh Battery Pack
  • and a 2x transceiver modules and controller which could be a Xbee, PS2 Controller, etc;

Do I need anything else? I’m probably forgetting a load of stuff, so if I do could you just point me out what I need?

Also, if the head and tail part of the code or something else is missing could someone provide it?

Thanks in advance, once again. And forgive me of my “noob-iness”.
Volkun

Correct. The reason we have not released a complete A-Pod kit largely because we do not have code to move the head or tail.
Just FYI, the SSC-32 has been replaced by the SSC-32U
You would also need the battery charger (opt for the 2800mAh rather than the 1600mAh).

I was building the A pod and could not find the code or a wiring guide can anyone help please?

Lynxmotion currently does not sell a complete A-Pod kit because the code has not been ported from Basic to Arduino. As such, you can use the Phoenix code to make it walk, but there’s not code for the head, mandibles or tail.
http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build99f.htm
You likely also have the SSC-32U as opposed to the SSC-32, but the pins are the same.

Will the A-POD code function if I use a BASIC Atom 28 controller or do I have to use BASIC Atom PRO 28?

@abdrey The issue is that the Basic Atom lineup was discontinued many years ago and as such are very hard to find. Information about the chips is also starting to become hard to come by to check their differences. If the pinout is identical, and there is enough memory etc. to run the program, you might give it a try. The full A-Pod code was never ported over to Arduino. The Phoenix code works, but does not include controls for the head, mandibles or tail. You can see the A-Pod setup here:
http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build184.htm

I know about the Arduino problem. I am interested in Basic Atom controllers. Both controllers have the same Pinout. Main characteristic:

If necessary, I can send Datasheets to both controllers. I do not know how much memory is needed to run the program and whether the power of the ATOM 28 controller is enough. The controller is quite expensive, so I need to understand exactly whether the A-Pod will work with it.

I modified this because I originally asked:

Will a Parallax Stamp 2 work on a Basic Atom board?

I found the answer at:

Lynxmotion Mini Atom Bot Board V2

Features:
• Excels with the Basic Atom or Basic Atom Pro, accepts all BS2, OOPic-C or BasicX microcontrollers
• With the Basic Atom Pro, servos can be controlled in the background
• Provides three buttons and three LED’s to make a simple user interface
• Built in buffered Speaker
• Built in Sony PS2 game controller port with invertor for BS2
• Separate logic and servo power inputs
• Servo/Logic voltages can connect to A to D inputs with 28 pin Atoms for battery monitoring
• I/O bus with power and ground can be configured for 5vdc or servo power in banks of four
• Reset button

Unfortunately no controllers to use verify here. If it helps, the A-Pod code is:
http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/files/apodps2.zip
Perhaps message Kurte here? He’s one of the gurus who helped create it.

Thanks! I still managed to find and buy a controller 28 pro. I have another question. What modification (inner diameter) does Lynxmotion Rubber End Cap apply to a-Pod feet?

Do you mean cutting it down to size? Step 16 here: http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build180.htm
These are the end caps: https://www.robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion-rubber-end-cap-rec-01.html

Is it possible to purchase a set of CAD drawings of A-Pod parts from PVC for laser cutting?

@abdrey Unfortunately the design files for the A-Pod are closed. You can certainly draw inspiration for your own design though. If you plan on using Hitec 645MG servos, you can get the CAD files for mounting which can help ensure you have the right dimensions:
http://www.lynxmotion.com/s-5-ses-3d-models.aspx

Hello,

I have built this robot and am now trying to get the code to work. I don’t have a PS2 controller yet, so was wondering if I can control it over serial as said here: “The Phoenix code also supports a serial control mode for controlling the robot via a serial connection.”

If this is correct, can I then control the robot over using a serial putty console on the PC?

Thanks for the help!