LMR series of PCB's

Here is a link to the LCD

Here is a link to the LCD backpack I was following to modd it to get rid of the keypad and add serial besides I2C, selectable by some jumper: http://john.crouchley.com/blog/archives/612 After lookig again, I see that it uses a Tiny2313 not a Tiny84 as I had in mind, which is cool, as 2313 has both hardware serial and USI, 84 has only USI.

And here is the link to OddBot’s proximity sensor: https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/node/2907

**Here’s an idea for a certain board. **

An idea for a board is a PCB with the Parallax Propeller chip. It is , I think a very usefull board and would be a great one to put on a PCB board for LMR. You can think any use up for it A motor controller, something to control graphics, for speech, or maybe to make calculations. Really anything. I just thought the propeller chip would be a good chip for a PCB board you could make. 

Regarding the proximity sensor

OddBot said that the design you pointed is deprecated - see his comment.

For cr2 I have made some tests, and tried to amplify the received signal using a BJT - I’ve got a better range but inconsistent and somehow eratic results. A good design is the simple one, like the OddBot used for compound eye and like I have used for cr2.

Regarding the LED backpack

I wanted to use some ATtiny2313 but I have read through datasheets that ATmega’s implementation of serial communications is better (I hope I am not mistaken - I dont remember now the differences). However, I have beeing able to buy cheaper Atmega168A from Farnell than ATtiny2313 from Romania :slight_smile:

A LCD backpack based on ATmega168A would give more flexibility (having more memory and better hardware) especially if the unused pins would go to a header. One can put an Arduino bootloader on ATmega and having a header for a common USB/serial convertor will be a plus.

A nice design will be a board smaller then the standard LCD and with a header for direct plug in of a LCD

You may be right about using

You may be right about using a Mega168 may be better and perhaps cheaper. At the time I was looking into this, there were almost no affordable I2C LCDs around, that changed… I would like to have a LCD+backpack for about $10-15. There are sources for cheap 2x16 LCDs, all I need is the backpack. I thought to have both serial and I2C because I can connect it to a FTDI and print from the computer, or have it plugged all the time in an Arduino board (using I2C), even when uploading code. Of course, we can use software serial, but it sometimes interferes with ohter libraries. Yes, ATmega168 or even a Mega8 should work fine, if they are available easier.

I’ve made one with ATmega8…

…a year ago, so I may rewrite the code for ATmega168 in Arduino (the one for Atmega8 is in assembly and USART only) but my biggest problem was choosing the command set.

Tell me if you are interested, we can talk about the commands and other details.

yeah

feel free to use the source files on guibot’s webpage  ;)   I would love to see an LMR version of the Motoruino  :)

yeah um hum yep

with usb!

Krumtroller

The 30 amp Motor controller, Krumtroller is in its first revision!

https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/node/27472?s=l

My lcd+backpack I used for

My lcd+backpack I used for my controller https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/node/27429 falls right into that price point. It uses an Arduino, has a FTDI port, I2C breakout, and digital pin 9 and 10 broken out for use with the newsoftserial library and of course has some power and gnd pins around. It also has a pot for adjusting the contrast. Not saying it is in the perfect state, but it could do what you say right now.

Here’s a super simple, easy

Here's a super simple, easy encoder board. Use it for motors, Line following, floor sensing. Uses the super common QRD1114. Ready for purchase as single board or completely populated now!

If you guys decide to go

If you guys decide to go ahead and supply boards to us users, where will they be available? In the States?

i wouldnt mind shipping

i wouldnt mind shipping internationally.

The boards need a LMR logo

The boards need a LMR logo easy to do on the copper. Is someone working on that?

You mean the silkscreen?

You mean the silkscreen?

An image we can import into

An image we can import into the board itself, black and white so we can etch it into the pcb.

That’s what I’m talking

That’s what I’m talking about. A black/white image that can be imported on the copper or silk screen. Like SparkFun’s flame logo.

I tried to make that logo

I tried to make that logo (from “about”-page, top menu, you can find all logo in vector) - but our logobot is just not cut for small print IMO. Someone shoudl have thought of that :slight_smile:

However, though logo’s look good, I think the link to the page where the board is discussed / comes from will be of much greater use. And that goes well in small resolutions.

**We can always throw a LMR **

We can always throw a LMR  on the board :slight_smile:

Great idea

Yes, the logobot does not make for a good silkscreen but it might work. The bigger the better of course. This is a standard 50% threshold bitmap @ 200x200 pixel res. version of the bot (1" square):

LMR_bot.jpg

this one is 1/2" square

LMR_bot2.jpg

The 1/2" looks real small in EAGLE, but hey, something is better than nothing!