Litter Robot II Blue Light Flashing

It now appears that the cycle function is not working consistently following the cat’s use even when the reset button has been used prior to that to cancel the flashing blue light. I had none of these issues with my original litter robot. Right now this is no more than use than a cheap regular tray which requires manual scooping!

Hi Ceri,

Please contact our Support Center detailing your problems and our technicians will help you. If it is not possible to fix the problem, we will proceed with an exchange of the defective base.

This is exactly the issue I am having with my litter robot open air! I have previously posted in the forum about this issue. I’ve done the hard reset, cleaned the robot thoughly, press reset constantly.
I love this product, but constantly having this issue is beyond frustrating.

It’ll be okay for a couple days, and then have the issue again. No matter what I do the blue light flashes. Even if the drawer is empty, etc. I will come home to find that it just hasn’t been cycling all day while I’ve been at work, and the blue light is flashing. I only bought the product at the end of May, and from the first couple days I’ve had this issue, and posted on the forum that I had this problem.

I would appreciate some feedback and what I can do. I believe I’m almost up on my 90 days, and perhaps if this is a constant issue with this unit, not just mine, I should return this unit? I read such great reviews, so it’s sad to know mine just isn’t working properly.

Please help, thank you.

-Morgan

If the Blue LED is flashing, this means that the Drawer Full Indicator (DFI) has sensed apotential block. At this point, we recommend you check your Waste Drawer. If it is full, empty itand press the ‘Reset’ button. If the Waste Drawer is not full, consider that something might beblocking the DFI. Proceed with the following troubleshooting tips:Empty the Drawer & Replace the Bag ­ The bag may be blocking the DFI field.1. Remove allwaste from the drawer. Replace with an empty bag and ensure that the bag is not above the rimof the drawer.2. Press ‘Reset’ and then start a cleaning cycle. If your DFI continues to blink atthe end of the cleaning cycle, then turn off the unit, unplug the power cable for 10 seconds, andthen plug it back in. Let the unit run a full cycle. If you continue to have issues with the DFI,please check the lenses.To check your DFI Lenses for any obstructions please follow these steps:0. Turn off the unit and Unplug the power from the base.1. Remove the Bonnet and set it aside.2. Remove the Globe and set it aside, be careful not to let it roll.3. Inspect the exterior, top,portion of the Base where the Globe usually rests. Are there any debris? Small amounts of litteris normal.4. Inside the waste opening, on the left and right sides, there are two clear “Lenses”.Make sure there is no debris stuck to these Lenses, or blocking them. We recommend wipingthem off with paper towel and glass cleaner. Do not spray anything directly onto the Base or DFILenses.5. Replace the Globe and Bonnet. Plug the unit back in and initiate a cleaning cycle.6.Once the cleaning cycle is complete, the unit should be at the Home position with a Solid BlueLED on.

I’m the OP. I did this when I got your reply. It cleared the problem, and it’s been a month now without a recurrence. So I guess that’s the solution for at least some of the people having this problem.

Thanks.

I got the Litter Robot lll as a gift last Saturday. Had problems with is yesterday stopping halfway through a cycle then dumping all the new litter into the drawer. Fixed that and now today the blue light is constantly flashing. Emptied drawer, unplugged it for a half hour to reset. Took it apart to check for debris etc. Still having the same issue. It’s a very expensive manual litter box right now.

Couldn’t get through to telephone service, sent a ticket and was told it could be 3 days to get back to me.

Not a big fan of this item or the company right now. Hope that changes.

Any other suggestions not already mentioned?

Hi,

If the Blue LED is flashing, this means that the Drawer Full Indicator (DFI) has sensed a potential block. At this point, we recommend you check your Waste Drawer. If it is full, empty it and press the ‘Reset’ button. If the Waste Drawer is not full, consider that something might be blocking the DFI. Proceed with the following troubleshooting tips:

Empty the Drawer & Replace the Bag ­ The bag may be blocking the DFI field.

1. Remove all waste from the drawer. Replace with an empty bag and ensure that the bag is not above the rim of the drawer.
  2. Press ‘Reset’ and then start a cleaning cycle. If your DFI continues to blink at the end of the cleaning cycle, then turn off the unit, unplug the power cable for 10 seconds, and then plug it back in. Let the unit run a full cycle. If you continue to have issues with the DFI, please check the lenses.

To check your DFI Lenses for any obstructions please follow these steps:

1. Turn off the unit and Unplug the power from the base.
  2. Remove the Bonnet and set it aside.
  3. Remove the Globe and set it aside, be careful not to let it roll.
  4. Inspect the exterior, top, portion of the Base where the Globe usually rests. Are there any debris? Small amounts of litter is normal.
  5. Inside the waste opening, on the left and right sides, there are two clear “Lenses”. Make sure there is no debris stuck to these Lenses, or blocking them. We recommend wiping them off with paper towel and glass cleaner. Do not spray anything directly onto the Base or DFI Lenses.
  6. Replace the Globe and Bonnet. Plug the unit back in and initiate a cleaning cycle.
  7. Once the cleaning cycle is complete, the unit should be at the Home position with a Solid Blue LED on.

Please let us know how it goes.

Sincerely,

I too am having flashing blue light issues. I followed the troubleshooting above. I have emptied the drawer, removed the bag, unplugged for 15+ minutes, done a hard reset, cleaned the lenses. After any of these interventions, hitting reset will give me a solid blue light, but after a completed cycle, it’s blue flashing again. This is already my second base (the last one would cycle and end up upside down and move around unprovoked). After the second base, everything worked well for a while, but suddenly this! It’s in the same location, same liners, so I don’t think this is an environmental cause. My original Litter Robot worked for 8 years without a hitch, but this new one is so disappointing!

I appreciate any further troubleshooting tips. I’m not sure what’s next.

Hi there, I know this is an old post, but I’ve been having this flashing blue light issue now for almost a month and I’m at my wits end. And my cat is even more fed up (using the bathroom on the mat in front of the litter robot now when I’m gone for too long and can’t manually cycle the machine for him).

So I was wondering if anyone has figured out a solution yet? I’ve tried the troubleshooting steps that the moderator has suggested (I’ve tried them even more times than he’s repeated the same things…), and I’ve tried the hard reset that was suggested and explained in a different post. I’ve taken the thing apart twice now and cleaned it up completely (including checking and cleaning the sensors), and I’ve even left the base unplugged overnight last night - and nothing has corrected the blinking light for more than 1 cycle.

Help! Any ideas? Im open to any suggestions and would really appreciate the help!

Thank you! :slight_smile:

@Jaimebav

We suggest you contact us via the support center for further troubleshooting.
Also, we may verify the warranty on your unit.

Have there been any fixes to this issue? I’ve had this issue for at least 6 months. Blue flashing light until I reset then it’s solid. So basically as long as I hit the reset button in the morning, it’ll work for most of the day or until my cat uses it then it’s flashing blue again. I’ve done a hard reset and cleaned the lenses but nothing has worked. I bought this until in April 2016 and have already needed to have the base replaced in warranty once due to the globe spinning constantly and not getting into home position. I really like the automatic litter box but it certainly seems reliability is a huge issue with these. Hard to swallow that a $500 litter box will only last 18-24 months.

I’ve tried all the fixes in this thread to no avail. Not sure if anyone has had any luck with others.

Thanks,
-Jack

Hi Jack,

The Blue Light flashing on a Litter-Robot 3 is caused by the Drawer Full Indication sensor.

Since you’ve tested it and try to reset it without any success, you would need to purchase and replace the sensor.

You can find it here:
robotshop.com/en/litter-rob … dware.html

You can use the video here to help you doing so:
youtube.com/watch?v=zD3dsJsVVsc

I have a Litter Robot III Open Air Connect that is not even one week old and have the same problem from the first time turning the unit on. I’ve had a previous litter robot for 10 years with pretty much no issues. Now I upgrade to the new and improved unit to see that it already has issues. C’mon LitterRobot! Quality control!

I bought my first LR3 10 months ago from robotshoppen.se in Sweden. It has worked perfectly so far ---- Until I bought my second LR3 from robotshop.com/eu for couple of weeks ago.

If this was about children, one could claim that the firstborn became jealous to the newcomer. But now it’s non-humans we’re talking about.

The “firstborn” suddenly started flashing the blue light. To the beginning the problem was easily solved by just pushing the reset button, and it functioned for a day or so without any problems. But very quickly this evolved to that each time cat had used it, it emptied, returned to home position - and started to flash blue again. This meant that after my workday, it had not worked at all - And the scent is also according to it

I have tried all the tricks you have given in this forum regarding this problem. Without any change to the better. In fact, quite the opposite. Now for three days it has also started to hook up with the globe upside down. Some of the first occasions this was about the spring in the black key back of the globe. But now the spring sits right, though the globe still hooks up upside down. This obviously results in the yellow light also flashing.

None of your advices regarding this has solved the problem, nor with the blue light flashing or the upside down hooked globe with yellow light flashing.

Now I am quite frustrated. I had already been so pleased that I now have two of these for my cats. And had also planned to order two more, but this makes me doubt if I dare to invest in.

@Leif The post you are currently in is a troubleshooting for the Litter-Robot II.

Since you have the Litter-Robot III, please try the following:

Hi,

The following troubleshooting should resolve the blue light blinking while the waste drawer is empty. Once resolved, the unit should consistently recognize when your cat visits and cycle accordingly.

To troubleshoot the blue blinking, let’s start by power cycling your unit:

1.) Leave your unit powered ON with the blue blinking light engaged & Unplug your power supply from the base

2.) Wait 10 seconds then plug the unit back in

3.) Allow the unit to complete a start‐up cycle. If the light is solid blue, the code has been successfully cleared. If the light is still blinking, let’s proceed with troubleshooting. Let’s empty the drawer if it has waste and reinstall the bag before proceeding.

Note: If you are using a dark colored bag, always tuck it into the tabs.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxgTYtknW_c&index=2&list=PLVGSgrf6kgDNPYaulQB7wDvu9AJcmBQ5k

Let’s check your DFI Lenses for any obstructions:

1. Turn off the unit and Unplug the power from the base

2. Remove the Bonnet and the Globe

3. Inspect the top of the Base where the Globe usually rests. Are there any debris? Small amounts of litter is normal. Clean as needed.

4. Inside the waste opening there are two clear ““Lenses”” (left and right side). Ensure there are no debris on the Lenses. Sometimes litter can fall/splash onto them. ** To clean the lenses, we recommend wiping them off with a soft damp cloth and/or glass cleaner. Do not directly spray the Base or DFI Lenses. **

5. Replace the Globe and Bonnet. Reset the black key in the back of the unit into the pocket. 6. Plug the unit back in. If you turned the power off, you will need to power it on and press ““cycle””. Once the cleaning cycle is complete, the unit should be at the Home position with a Solid Blue LED on.

Further Troubleshooting:

1. If the unit continues blinking blue, remove the waste drawer and press cycle.

2. Press reset 2x to abort the cycle and return the unit to home (it will level the litter).

3. If the unit goes to solid blue with the waste drawer removed, ensure there is nothing in the drawer blocking the lenses.

4. If the drawer is clear, your base needs to be repaired ‐ let us know that you tried the full troubleshooting without results.

If it still doesn’t work, you will have to contact your reseller.

This is what I have already done, several times actually. Without any changes to the better. I have also done the “total reset” (if it was that it was called). And I have also tried to contact the reseller (robotshoppen.se in Sweden) .

@Leif You can contact them here Tel: 08 - 10 33 33 According to their website.

The issue you are having is due to the Litter-Robot III Open Air DFI Hardware being defective.

To be continued…

I have hard to believe that the issue is about the DFI lenses. Why would the globe stop upside down if it was about DFI?

And now the problem havs escalated to that the yellow light flashes very quickly and nothing happens. It doesn’t help to try to hit the reset button, reboot or unplug the power from the base for x-number of minutes or hours. Nor is there any change with or without the globe or drawer on - it doesn’t function. Since I do have a second LR3 which is functioning, I’ve also tried to replace the globe, drawer and bonnet. Status quo, nothing happens, the problem remains. Now, just in a worse form from the beginning with the flashing blue light - the LR3 doesn’t function at all.

I suppose this is about the motor.

I now finally came in contact with the seller in Sweden. But it is not so much for help since, he obviously sends my questions to your helpdesk and passes the answers to me. Of the answers I suppose he clearly omits a lot of what I described about the problems. What is a bit frustrating since I already have asked directly from you these questions and tested all your suggestions, without results for the better.It’s a bit frustrating to pull the re-run in this phase when I have a very expensive and relatively new, just 10 months old, litter-box that still doesn’t function at all.

@Leif Have him read this forum post and proceed with an exchange of the base in this case. The issue with the blue light flashing is due to a defective DFI, as for the yellow light flashing, it should be a problem with the motor.
Since Robotshoppen is a reseller, it is their responsibility to offer you the service and honor the warranty.
Since you have having that much issues, we would suggest to replace the base.

Thank you, I’ll send him a link to this forum.