Litter Robot 3 - Does not cycle automatically

Hi!

I require your help regarding a problem I’m encountering.

At the beginning, it worked normally. But after those first months, it did not do the automatic cycle any more after the cat has finished inside, and will only cycle by pressing the “cycle” button.

I tried to press “reset” or turn off the device many times, but nothing changes

Could you please help?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Maria Angeles Garcia

Hi,

The unit is pretty sensitive and can pick-up weight from hands, arms, or other objects resting on the unit when “reset” is pressed. The unit should also be pulled away from a wall. Make sure you do not press on the Litter-Robot when you press the reset button.

We need to troubleshoot your cat sensor system (CATS). This is based on your description of a solid blue light after the cat has left the unit. Please try the following:

[NOTE: When attempting to activate CATS, troubleshoot with the following technique. We recommend applying pressure from the top of the globe entrance (not on the bonnet). Use a downward motion that pushes away from your body]

1. Attempt to manually cycle the unit by pressing the “cycle” button. If the unit cycles properly, move to the next step.
  2. Reset the CATS by turning the unit off then on using the power button.
  3. During the start-up cycle, push on the unit to see if the CATS activates. If it does, press “reset” to pause the cycle, then press “reset” again to return the unit to home position.
  4. After the unit is on and in the home position, apply pressure to the unit. Does CATS activate (red light indicator)? If you apply more pressure, how much does it take to activate?
  5. If your unit switches to a red light after applying excessive pressure, consider the surface area that your unit is on (see below). If the CATS does not engage, refer to step 5.
  6. If your CATS does not engage, leave the unit off & unplugged. Notify us so we can make the necessary arrangements based on warranty.

The surface for your Litter-Robot should be hard to avoid the unit taking on extra absorption of weight. If the unit is sitting steady on the ground, but has a dip in the middle, the sensor may require much more weight to trigger. Instead, try putting the unit on a surface that is flat, such as a board. If your unit is on tile, we recommend that the back, center, of the unit is resting on the flat part of the tile and not on a grout line. Do not allow the unit to have items rest on it or be pushed up against the wall. Avoid resting on the unit when pressing the “reset” button.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks for your reply.

After your second step, I cannot go further because the machine does not cycle automatically after having turned it off and then on. The “ready” light just keeps on blinking.

What can I do now?

1 Like

Hi,

The following troubleshooting should resolve the blue light blinking while the waste drawer is empty. Once resolved, the unit should consistently recognize when your cat visits and cycle accordingly.
To troubleshoot the blue blinking, let’s start by power cycling your unit:
1.) Leave your unit powered ON with the blue blinking light engaged & Unplug your power supply from the base
2.) Wait 10 seconds then plug the unit back in
3.) Allow the unit to complete a start‐up cycle. If the light is solid blue, the code has been successfully cleared. If the light is still blinking, let’s proceed with troubleshooting. Let’s empty the drawer if it has waste and reinstall the bag before proceeding.

Note: If you are using a dark colored bag, always tuck it into the tabs.
Video: How to Install a Waste Drawer Liner | Litter-Robot 3 - YouTube

Let’s check your DFI Lenses for any obstructions:

1. Turn off the unit and Unplug the power from the base
  2. Remove the Bonnet and the Globe
  3. Inspect the top of the Base where the Globe usually rests. Is there any debris? Small amounts of litter are normal. Clean as needed.
  4. Inside the waste opening there are two clear “Lenses” (left and right side). Ensure there is no debris on the Lenses. Sometimes litter can fall/splash onto them. ** To clean the lenses, we recommend wiping them off with a soft damp cloth and/or glass cleaner. Do not directly spray the Base or DFI Lenses. **
  5. Replace the Globe and Bonnet. Reset the black key in the back of the unit into the pocket.
  6. Plug the unit back in. If you turned the power off, you will need to power it on and press “cycle”. Once the cleaning cycle is complete, the unit should be at the Home position with a Solid Blue LED on.

Further Troubleshooting:

1. If the unit continues blinking blue, remove the waste drawer and press cycle.
  2. Press reset 2x to abort the cycle and return the unit to home (it will level the litter).
  3. If the unit goes to solid blue with the waste drawer removed, ensure there is nothing in the drawer blocking the lenses.
  4. If the drawer is clear, your base needs to be repaired.

Let us know that you tried the full troubleshooting without results.

Hi.
The blue light of my litter robot continues to blink even after having tried the three procedures you described to solve it.

What should I do now?

1 Like

This topic was transferred to internal RobotShop Support.