LIDAR-Lite v3 - Available for pre-order | RobotShop Community

@yousef: Short answer: yes, you can. Long answer: Where you place the sensor will be critical to its operation, as the LIDAR-Lite is not protected against environmental hazards, such as high humidity (and of course water splashes and rain), dust, etc. Depending on where you live, temperature might also be an issue (extreme heat, cold). Of course, the lenses must remain clean to obtain proper results. You may also want to aim at the height of licence plates, since they are made to be highly reflective and will most likely provide the best results. For more technical discussions or to display your project, create a new topic on our forum.

Hi. I have a question about LIDAR-Lite. I need a distance measurement module to install in wheat silo that has very dusty environment. Can LIDAR measure in this condition? Also, I design a wiper to clean the lens.

@Behrang Mz: It may work, but that would need to be tested since we have no data for heavy dust. As for the lens, please note the LIDAR-Lite itself does not have a dust-tight case, so the recommend installation would be inside a dust-proof case with the transmitter/emitter coming out of it with o-rings/gaskets around the two cylinders. Another, simple way may be to just use it through a IR transparent material that is flat and directly against the device. This would be wiped clean more easily and at the same time serve to protect the device.
We also have RB-Ben-01 (10 m) and RB-Ben-02 (22 m) that have a IP rating of 63-65, which means they would be dust-tight (i.e.: “No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight).”).

Hi Sébastien. I was wondering if the LIDAR-lite would be appropriate for determining speed vs distance of a skeleton athlete pushing a sled (see example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3YnCws9vZI). I am mostly concerned in determining the point at which the athlete should load onto the sled (i.e., where they start slowing down the sled with each step because they can’t keep up). I don’t need the measurements to be extremely accurate, rather I need them to be precise. The thing that I am most worried about are that the moving body parts could confound my results.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

@Sammuel: It seems like it would be quite difficult to accurately aim the LIDAR-Lite v3’s beam at the athlete / or the sled. Instead, you may be better off using an ultrasonic sensor with a long/thin beam.

Thank you for your suggestion Sébastien. Do you have any particular ultrasonic sensors that you would recommend?

@Sammuel: The choice of ultrasonic sensor really depends on your specific needs. You would most likely want one that reports distance quickly (> 10 Hz) so you can derive velocity. Of course, a narrow beam would probably help. Maybe something like the RB-Max-44 would do the trick (see the datasheet here). Please note this one is not currently visible on our website, but can still be purchased/added to an order by our customer support.

Hi Sébastien. I haven’t received my Lidar-Lite V3 yet but am planning initially to use PWM for obstacle avoidance on a rover. My question is, while in PWM mode, does it perform some sort of receiver bias correction as default? I didn’t find that in the data sheet, though it tells how to set bias correction behaviour if one is using I2C.

@Dave Coleman: The device does perform bias correction at every measurement, by default. See page 4 of the datasheet, under Theory of Operation. By default, the device performs bias correction unless specified otherwise (see bottom right corner of page 4, under Settings and top right of page 8 for more details).

Hi Sebstian… We are using SICK (LMS) for measurement the vehicle like (Height+Width and Length), can LIDAR Lite take place of SICK, looking forward for your reply.

Thanks

@Prashant Sharma: The LIDAR-Lite (both the LLV3 and LLV3HP) is a point measurement sensor. Therefore, it will only measure distance directly in front of it. If you wish to have a complete/integrate 2D scanning solution, you will need to add more part and code for processing the data. You may to also have a look at our rotational LIDAR sensors. You can read more about them in this article.

Hi Scharette. I have read all the documents related to lidar lite v3 but could not find enough information about pwm interface. What are the differences between pwm and i2c interface? What are the advantages of the pwm interface over the i2c interface? can you inform me? Thank you.

1 Like

@Cayir
The short answer is that the I2C interface is better. It allows for fast communication (and fast measurements) and to change configurations of the sensor as needed while in use.

Long answer:
The PWM interface is simply a signal that produce a period pulse length, where the length is proportional to the distance. Since that pulse cannot be lower than zero and has to be long enough to represent the maximum distance, its period cannot be super fast. Therefore it limits how fast you can get distance measurement updates.
From the info in the manual (page 4), right hand side [Mode Control Pin], the pulse is 10µs/cm in length. With a maximum range of 40 m that makes the maximum pulse length at about 40 ms. This means if you want the maximum length to be possible you need the period longer than 40 ms. This caps your measurement speed at 25 Hz (25 samples per second) since the pulses could be as long as 40000µs (40 ms).
I hope that helps!

1 Like

thank you so much.

1 Like