LIDAR-Lite Laser Rangefinder - Simple Arduino Sketch of a 180 Degree "Radar" | RobotShop Community

@lakshminarayana: Most likely not. This questions has been answered a few times already. We recommend you search for “road” on this page (CTRL+F to open search in most browsers).

Could this be used to measure the distance to the car behind, when driving?
Or will it be disturbed by the road below? Will it measure to 40m in bright sunlight?
Combined with a GPS to measure the speed, it could be used to flash a sign in the rear window; “You’re to close! Back up, please”
Of cause the letters need to be large enough, so the driver behind does not drive closer to read the sign :wink:
Or just a flashing light, flashing faster as the car behind gets closer,
A range of 40m will correspond to 72km/h with a safety distance of 2 sec, not optimum, but at least something.

@Leif: Yes, it may work. Please note that most cars’ front are rounded and made of materials that may not reflect the signal properly. Therefore, you may not get great readings in all cases.
Sunlight will certainly affect the measurements but should not be too bad since this sensor uses the signal’s signature over hundreds of readings to produce one measurement, not simply time of flight (like most other sensors). This will help with working in sunlight. You may want to try and aim it at something reflective, like a licence plate (if cars where you are have them in front), since these are normally flat, perpendicular to the road and made to be reflective to IR.

Also, for your GPS needs, you may be interested in products we carry here. For a display, this one may fit your needs. If you provide enough current to the display it can be quite bright.

Hello Sebastian,

I have used this code and it is running well. I want to add a buzzer such that whenever any object approaches close the to lidar (ex: 200 cm) the buzzer should activate. Could you please tell me where I can add the code in the existing code, i.e. above code

@Harish: Such a modification would have to be done during the loop function here. Something like a if(distance < 200){tone(5, 440, 100);}. You can read more about the BotBoarduino and the buzzer (pin 5, item #4) here. As mentioned at the top of this article, technical questions should really be asked on the forum instead. You can do so here.

Hello Sir, we are measuring water level with Lidar lite v3 about 30cm bt it’s not measuring water level, its showing result from its base. and we are working on Arduino. please reply.

@Shalini Dhanwe: Please note that if your setup is perpendicular to the water surface, it is quite possible that it is mostly absorbed (instead of reflected) with some of it making through the water (hitting the bottom of the container) and back to the sensor. Therefore, you would not be able to measure the surface level. Instead, you may want to use an ultrasonic sensor for level measurement of liquids. As mentioned at the top of this article, you should create a topic on our forum here for technical questions/support.

i will try to install Lidar on pixhaw2.1 ,what paramter do i need to modify to set a specific height from the bottom?

@kim jun yon: There does not seem to be a direct integration of the LIDAR-Lite and the PixHawk 2.1. That being said, you can find information online about the combination of the two by various users, such as here, here and here. We hope this helps.

Good morning,
I’m looking for a laser lidar to measure the grass height.
This is a farm project, I need a sensor on a drone to measure the grass height.
I would like to know if you rekon that laser lidar would be the best solution ?
If yes which one on your shop do you advise me ?
I need one that could get ground level AND the top of the grass.
Else, if you rekon it won’t work, one for the ground level and i will use an ultrasonic sensor for the top of the grass.

Thank you very much for your help,
Clement.

@clement lantonnat: As mentioned in response to your previous comment, measuring grass height using the LIDARs we offer will most likely not work, as they are meant to detect distances to objects and obstacles. LIDARs are used with tree canopies, but please note that these have special signal processing for such cases (measuring multiple distances from one signal/multiple partial signals).
It does seem like the typical way to do this currently would be using CV (computer vision), not LIDAR. You would place some markers around your field that are at a known height and compare those to t he grass using stereoscopic cameras and a computer vision library, such as Open CV (learn more here).

I want to find light source and measure its distance between my robot and the light source; then my robot can move to the light source. Thus, what kind of sensors do I need for such a project ? I know that I need a photo resistor but I don’t know how to measure the distance between my robot and the light source itself. I cannot find solid info about this topic in the internet. I will very happy if someone guide me, thank you very much.

@AYKUT SIRMA: As mentioned at the top of this article, please create a topic here for technical questions, issues, etc., especially if it is related to a different subject entirely.

Hi Sebastien. How might someone go about buying/making a case or enclosure that allows this LIDAR to function in the rain? Any advice would help thank you.

@Roberto Santos: There are typically two types of solutions for the LIDAR-Lite and cases: 1) create a case sealed against water/rain and have it pressed against the emitter/receiver as perpendicular as possible. The material used shall be IR transparent. 2) create a case sealed against water/rain with holes for the emitter/receiver with gasket around them for sealing it nicely.
Alternatively, you could simply purchase the LLV3HP [RB-Pli-17] which is resistant to water (IPX7). This is what the manufacturer says is can do: suitable for “splashes, rain or snow, showering”. It is unsuitable for “swimming, diving into water, snorkeling or scuba diving, high-speed watersports”.

Thank you for all the help!!!

sir i’m using this lidar lite v3 sensor to detect the slope inclination and declination on road. i have one doubt , how do we come to know that laser beam light is falling on the road and is correctly reflected back to sensor.
sometimes the beam may won’t reflect back to sensor.

@Kavitha: Please note the LIDAR-Lite is meant for distance measurement in the optimal situation where the sensor is facing a reflective flat surface perpendicular to the sensor’s beam. Any other uses (such as slope incline detection) will most likely not be optimal and produce unreliable results. If the target surface is reflective and angled away from the sensor, it is possible that little or none of the signal comes back to the sensor, therefore providing erroneous results. For technical support with your use, we recommend that you make a new topic here. To help the community understand your situation, we recommend that you add as many details as possible about your setup, including attaching pictures or sketches of the project.

just want to ask if humidity affects the computation of distance using lidar or light just like the sound sensors. thanks

@Domingo Ramos: “Humidity” might affect the computation of the distance, in the sense that heavy rain will refract, absorb, etc. the signal as it travels to a target and back. Otherwise, regular humidity in the air should be fine as long as it is not enough to cause electrical issues to the sensor itself (not sealed).